free website stats program High Idle on a 2007 Night train | Harley Davidson Forums

High Idle on a 2007 Night train

Francke

I miss the idle from my old shovelhead.

Got a new 2007 Night Train and it works fine BUT
it has rpm like a japs.

Is there a way to adjust the idle to really low ?
I know that the high Idle is a sort of adjustment
to create more power to the battery.

but hey, I'm standing still as little as possible so
the battery will be charge anyway.

Or changing to a carb, would that work ?

The engine needs 950-1050 rpm's to properly charge the battery and supply enough oil pressure. Lowering it can effect both and is not advisable to do. There;s a small window to play with but it is better left at factory specs.

As far as FI injection to carb, it can be done but at a cost and the same applies to idle speed there, just a bit more of a window because of no fuel pump drawing from the system.

From EFI to Carburetor Upgrade Instructions

Thanks man, I'll go for the carb.

probably be easier and cheaper to go with the thundermax, you can adjust your Idle on that, but a twincam will never sound like a shovel, and if you drop your idle to low you can damage your engine.

I know what you mean about the shovelhead idle but your twincam will never idle like a shovel or a ironhead better left alone just enjoy the easy cold startup and take it for what is if you really need to hear that potatoe potatoe potatoe idle buy an old shovel and build a bobber on a budget just remember even shovels need good oil pressure to stay together but they sure sound good dont they

I would guess the sound your looking for comes mostly from cam profile. My guess that lowing the idle probably won't help that much.

Hoop!

Back