free website stats program High Idle/Choke issues | Harley Davidson Forums

High Idle/Choke issues

usaf.rotorhead

Greatings one & all-
A coworker referred me to this forum to assist with an issue I'm having. I have an 07 FLSTF (Fatboy), owned since new. After about 2 years and less than 10K, it began intermittently stalling when the engine was running hot and moderate RPMs. Often when the stall is predicated by the high idle kicking in and causing the engine to scream at idle. If the motor does stall or I shut it off, the subsequent start will be very rough with back fires and strong fuel odor.

The dealer said it was a loose ground wire and replaced it, then tried a crank sensor. No changes. The other 98% of the time the bike runs great.

Hope to hear from you all with some ideas, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PC230006.jpg
    PC230006.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 26
Welcome from So. Texas. Has it been checked for any codes? Have you checked it for any Intake leaks? I would assume it is Fuel Injected. Has there been any Mods to the bike,pipes, fueler, cams, etc?
tourbox

I would think that the dealer checked for codes. Do you know if any were found? have you tried cleaning the IAC?

Well, only a few months later, but I have another lead to run down. I did look at the IAC and read the other link, no joy. I'm about to take it into a local dealer and work this out, but before I do, I read on line again, and came across an HD service bulletin, but I can't read it in full. Does anyone have full access to SB-M-1220? Thanks

That service bulletin relates to the heat management system calibration but I don't think it has anything to do with the problem you are describing but I have posted below.

NHTSA Item Number: 10032652
Service Bulletin #: SB-M-1220
Replacement #:
Vehicle/Equipment Make: HARLEY DAVIDSON
Vehicle/Equipment Model: FLSTN
Model Year: 2007
Mfg Component Code: 061000 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Date of Bulletin: 2008-12-08
Date Added: 2010-04-23
Summary: HARLEY DAVIDSON: ENGINE IDLE TEMPERATURE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. THE CALIBRATION OFFERS LIMITED REAR CYLINDER COOLING WITH THE MOTORCYCLE STOPPED WHILE THE ENGINE IS LEFT AT IDLE ONCE THE TEMPERATURE THRESHOLD IS EXCEEDED. MODELS 2007-08 DYNA A

Welcome to the forums from Fort Bragg, NC. Off-subject, that flagpole in the background looks familiar. Is that Pope AAF?

Back