free website stats program HID question | Harley Davidson Forums

HID question

I believe I poorly stated what I was looking for and why, for this I apologize.
I'm an Avionics Tech (30+ years) and I'm very familiar with the difference between an HID and LED light system. I'm not looking for an LED system and believe that an HID system is better for my needs.

I'm seeking a reliable HID system for my Ultra Classic and was wondering if anyone here has installed one. I looked in the “Lights” section and did a search for HID and got nothing.

Mongo I'm sure there will be members who have these systems and will give you advice, while your waiting this is a good read on both:What is the difference between HID and LED lighting? | Halcyon Dive Systems

I believe I poorly stated what I was looking for and why, for this I apologize.
I'm an Avionics Tech (30+ years) and I'm very familiar with the difference between an HID and LED light system. I'm not looking for an LED system and believe that an HID system is better for my needs.

I'm seeking a reliable HID system for my Ultra Classic and was wondering if anyone here has installed one. I looked in the “Lights” section and did a search for HID and got nothing.

Mongo1958,

When you find your information be so kind to put information into the members self help area so we can RETAIN INFORMATION for our members to have here on HDT.com

here is a link to help you post information "TITLE" so it makes sense and post either a link to information or Copy to the page.

Thanks ALL HELP IS NEEDED...:D

Members Tips For Easy Maintenance - Harley Davidson Community

signed....BUBBIE

I'm not looking for an LED system and believe that an HID system is better for my needs.

Harley does make a Very nice HID 7" round. It is something like $600 but it is turn key.
You really didn't say what your needs were, so I can't say if it's what your looking for. But if I was going to go HID, that is where I would start.

Mongo1958,

When you find your information be so kind to put information into the members self help area so we can RETAIN INFORMATION for our members to have here on HDT.com

here is a link to help you post information "TITLE" so it makes sense and post either a link to information or Copy to the page.

Thanks ALL HELP IS NEEDED...:D

Members Tips For Easy Maintenance - Harley Davidson Community

signed....BUBBIE
Sure, I'd be glad to. So far I haven't found much.

Harley does make a Very nice HID 7" round. It is something like $600 but it is turn key.
You really didn't say what your needs were, so I can't say if it's what your looking for. But if I was going to go HID, that is where I would start.

Well, I'm looking for a better (higher output) cost effective headlight because I ride at night (to work at 4AM) a lot. During deer season it can be a little scary. Summer time is no picnic either. A few years ago, during the summer time, I hit a “road gator”. It caused my GL1800 Goldwing and I to go airborne.
The LED lights (even the after market) are too much $$ IMHO. IF I can get an HID installed and tweaked at $50 then I've achieved my goal of increasing the light output of the Head Light for an affordable price.
I've considered the Sylvania lamps but they have a very short life span. If the cost of the LED lights were less $$ then I would consider them. For now, the HID seems to meet my needs if I can find a reliable system to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
if I can find a reliable system to use.

If you just replace a H4 Halogen with a HID capsule, your probably not going to get that nice even blanket of white light with a razor cut off line that HID's are known for. The light pattern will probably have hot areas and areas that need or lack light.

That being said, one thing would be a must for me. Because you said you wanted a reliable light, I would find the room needed to mount a full size Bosch ballast instead of the "latest and greatest" micro ballast. I have never used the micro ballasts but hot restarts of a HID bulb requires a bunch of current for the 1st couple of seconds. Internal pressures of hot HID's can exceed 400 psi, & I just can't see those micro ballasts holding up against much of that abuse.

I installed a aftermarket HID kit, loved the light it was capable of putting out BUT the reliability of it was another thing all together. It would light about 1/2 of the time, called their tec line and was told that I needed a relay. Installed the relay and the big difference was that you could try and restart the light much sooner than you could without the relay. Got so tired of always messing around with the light I have opted for the factory lights. At least it is always on, kinda tough riding to work in the dark with out having a headlight. Still looking for an LED that I am willing to pay that ridiculous price for.

Back