Hi from Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by HackABike, Sep 25, 2012.

1. HackABike

HackABike New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to Harleys and I picked a doosy to start out with.
    I bought a '90 Softail Springer and its got 61K and quite a few issues.

I did ride it once before starting to tear into it, and I sure do now understand the feel of a Harley after riding some standards, sport, and a metric cruiser.
    Its all metal!

Currently I'm in the process of removing the primary and I just discovered online that my bike fell in the years of the "casting issue" for the crankcase causing oil leak into the primary. I drained a half gallon of oil out of the primary the other day. I've never done anything but carb work before.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Welcome to The Forum, Harley knew of the casting issues and after a while they turned a blind eye to it. Good Luck with your new bike. There are tons of Evo parts out there:s
  3. HackABike

HackABike New Member

Thanks, I looked at the awesome collection of tech tips, but didn't see any on the casting crankcase issue. Is there any way to tell or is it just seeing a crack? I saw some aftermarket crankcases for $1K already, but hoping to avoid that if all possible.

Kudos to those who worked at organizing this forum, the organization of information is really great!
  4. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
    From Central Florida.