free website stats program Hfsm | Harley Davidson Forums

Hfsm

Billbo

Hello all again. I have a 2011 Road King. It has the new Hands Free Security Module - HFSM. (TSSM).

With key fob (no buttons) in hand, the starter will not work! All the lights come on and fuel pump etc. but NO starter. What can I do now???
I have NO knowledge of the security systems -- my 2001 Heritage I only use a barrel key to lock and unlock - and it always starts!!!
Battery is good - I have read about possibly some interferrence occuring with key fob, and possibly fob battery - have learned sposed to replace every year.

PS: of course I will take this up with the HD dealership - but I am anxious and at work now and just looking for some help.

Thanks
Bill

thanks Jennmarr --- bike is in N all lit up -- NO I did not pull clutch lever in - The bike is totally NEW to me but I believe I have started it maybe 3-4 times and I do know I have started the bike from standing on the right side without the clutch lever in.

I really believe it has something to do with the security system/key fob (HFSM - no button) style fob.

Yes I did Jack - thanks! But I really did not see much beyond about 06 or 08. This is a 2011 model with the Hands Free Security Module - HFSM. The bike is supposed to work automatically when the fob is near and secure when the fob is away - I think about 10 feet or so. I had the fob in my hand when I hit the starter and got nothing. I have read about some possible interference with RF signals near or even maybe a cell phone. If that is the case, I may not like this security system!!! :(

BUT, I believe it has to be something simple that I just dont know about.
Bill

thanks Jennmarr --- bike is in N all lit up -- NO I did not pull clutch lever in - The bike is totally NEW to me but I believe I have started it maybe 3-4 times and I do know I have started the bike from standing on the right side without the clutch lever in.

I really believe it has something to do with the security system/key fob (HFSM - no button) style fob.

It will start without the clutch pulled in, but only if it is in neutral. If the bike is in gear the clutch lever must be pulled for the starter to engage. The HFSM first appeared on the touring bikes in '07. Next question is have you changes the battery in the fob? I have had mine do funny things when the fob battery was getting weak. Oddly enough, occasionally it would refuse to start if the fob was in my pants pocket, but if I put it in the windshield bag it would work. On the whole, it has been very seamless to use. I like it much better than the previous system. One last suggestion, if you have not already done it, as soon as you get it to behave properly set your PIN code. If the fob gets goofy, you can enter the code to disarm the security system. Instruction on how to set/use the code are in the owners manual. If you did not get a manual with the bike I believe you can download one from the HD website.

It will start without the clutch pulled in, but only if it is in neutral. If the bike is in gear the clutch lever must be pulled for the starter to engage. The HFSM first appeared on the touring bikes in '07. Next question is have you changes the battery in the fob? I have had mine do funny things when the fob battery was getting weak. Oddly enough, occasionally it would refuse to start if the fob was in my pants pocket, but if I put it in the windshield bag it would work. On the whole, it has been very seamless to use. I like it much better than the previous system. One last suggestion, if you have not already done it, as soon as you get it to behave properly set your PIN code. If the fob gets goofy, you can enter the code to disarm the security system. Instruction on how to set/use the code are in the owners manual. If you did not get a manual with the bike I believe you can download one from the HD website.

Thanks again. I have since called the HD shop and he told me to change the FOB battery first and try it. Then, try moving the bike to another location - currently it is parked about 3' from a garage door that has a security alarm system installed all around the shop. He said that could also be a problem.

I have changed the FOB battery and waiting till I get home to try it again. HOPE it works....

Bill

Check that the handlebar off/run switch is on. All of the lights except the check engine light come on when it's in the off position.

Back