free website stats program Hey Y'all: Lanceroony here. Big Bores Rule!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Hey Y'all: Lanceroony here. Big Bores Rule!!!

lancerooney

Grateful to be here, and on the right side of the grass. God is good. I was born with a "Hot Rod Heart" 54 years ago. I can't leave anything mechanical and mobile alone. Been this way my whole life. A few years ago I bought what was left of an American Ironhorse chopper w/salvage title from Pennsylvania. It had been stolen, crashed (more than once as evidenced by damage from 3 angles), and then stripped of many pieces/parts. After 7 mos. of gathering the correct parts, too many labor hours to count, and a stupid # of thousand$ being spent I was smiling. Big bore torque feels like home to me.
I am here to help any way that I can but, my knowledge is all carburetor fed engines up til now. I had been looking for a nice newer Road Glide for over a year. Looked almost weekly in fact. On Oct. 3rd. I bought this 2013 FLTRX Road Glide Custom. It had only 6,900 miles on it. The previous owner poured stupid money into it. Viair/Dirty Air quick up air ride. J&M Rokker XX Series amp, and 7.5 speaker sys. Chizeled mid hieght chrome bars. Spoke/laced wheels option. Cruise, Security sys. and the engine..????? H-D # 27799-12 throttle body, Zippers Max Flow air cleaner with 58 mm intake plate, D&D 2 into 1 Fat Cat full exhaust. Ignition , Air Fuel Ratio programmer is a Thunder-Max Wave Tune ECM (p/n 309-362). It also has the controversial NGK Iridium plugs. Orange band on fuel injectors (can't see p/n for inj. anywhere). I was told engine has a 110 kit in it?????? No "Screamin' Eagle" logo on heads. Heads perfectly match the machined edges of cooling fins that are on the cylinder jugs too. Have no clue which cams # are beneath the rocker boxes. The gaskets between the heads and top mating surface of cyl. jugs look absolutely spotless new. I haven't stuck my bore scope in the spark plug holes to discover more yet because, I need to know identifying markers of 110 on top of pistons vs 103. The engine pulls harder by far than a friend's 103 in his '13 Street Glide but, he has Rhinehart exhaust and no extra perf. parts. Any thoughts of how I can I.D. if it's a 110 on mine will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome from So. Texas. Bore on a 110 is 4" versus 3.85" on a 103. Stroke is the same at 4.375". The P/N is usually on top of the piston( for HD) but would be hard to see with carbon on it through the spark plug hole. Good luck with it.
tourbox

Thank you for the warm welcomes joyflyin, and harttoo. I appreciate that. Tourbox, if the part # is on top of piston that'll be super easy to read at "Bottom dead center" with the scope. First thing I did upon getting the bike home from the stealership was drain the tank, change the in tank filter, and refill with ethanol free 98 octane fuel. I put a healthy dose SeaFoam in too. I pulled, cleaned, checked gap, re-installed plugs. Gas smelled stale and had a slight amber tint, exh. pipe was black with over rich residue. The plugs had virtually no wear, or build up but, were smudged from the old gas. My guess is that the front cyl.'s injector was "Streaming" and not spraying a good pattern of mist. This based on my IFR temperature gun's numbers vs. rear cyl.'s temp. You are most definately correct about the carbon being a hinderance to seeing the # if, it is an H-D piston. I will use Amsoil- Power Foam sprayed directly through the throttle bore and get whatever is left of the carbon melted, and away before putting the scope in to achieve the discovery. Hmmmm. That might be a pretty cool thing to photo log here as an "Ice breaker" to the forums. I'll upload the before and afters. If nothing else maybe there's an overbore stamp if it's a 4" piston from some other vendor. I thank you again. It'll be Wednesday coming before I get to it. On vacation at present. Y'all enjoy your weekend.

Tourbox got close but bore on 103 is 3.875". Pull compression on the motor, that will tell us a little more. If a 110" kit was installed, pistons will ne OEM. Next step is pulling cam cover to ID the cams. Next step would be to Replace the Tmax with the Power Vision and get a proper dyno tune. Did the PO have a dyno sheet for the motor? If a dealer installed the 110" kit, which is likeli, the work should be in the HD system and a VIN check will turn it up if that is the case.;)

Back