free website stats program Hey Spinger people... | Harley Davidson Forums

Hey Spinger people...

Good Day,
Ive owned a 48 U, a 07 Classic, and now I just picked up a 79 Super Glide with a Original HD Springer on it.
It has a 21" skinny wheel on it and a bobtail rear fender.
Question is... are all the springers the same as I would like to put a FL wheel on the front of it with a Heritage style fender. (hinged fender on back)
To bring back fond memories of my 48.
Any advise would be of much help to get my custom started.
Thanks for your time

Springer AL

There is few types of springer front end. If you have springer for 19 or 21 inch wheel probably it has brake mounted on right side, like this:
1992 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Parts, 1992 Harley-Davidson FXSTS OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

The springer for 16 inch wheel (eg. FLSTS) has brake mounted on left side:
1998 Harley-Davidson FLSTS Parts, 1998 Harley-Davidson FLSTS OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

So, there is other way of mounting of brake. But of course you can make some modifications and mount FL wheel on springer working with 19 inch wheel. I did it for my bike, look at the pictures in this thread:
My Bobber LowRider - pictures - Harley Davidson Community

But than you have to make some modifications for brake linkage mounting on springer, and you have to make some modifications on axle and brake mounting spacers. There can be also a problem with the fender because for these springers fenders are mounted in different way. There are also some differences between springers from different years.

Thank you for the information,
The FL style wheel looks great on your bike, and a very nice combo of styles.
I do have the right side brake, and will do the mods to put the FL wheel on over the winter.
Nothing looks cooler than a Springer, it really makes a statemant on your bike!
I will get some pics up soon,
Springer Al

Back