free website stats program Hesitation? | Harley Davidson Forums

Hesitation?

ThaZiPSteR

I tried looking around some, did not find anything just like this.

quick background. 1989 FLSTC. been in storage for a few years. took out, cleaned up, changed oil, drained tanks, fresh fuel, new battery, took off carb, rebuilt and cleaned, wasn't too dirty.

turned over and cranked right up. idles ok, but doesn't take fuel well. If you try to rev, it tries to die.. drives fine, except if you throttle up rapidly. like say passing a car. there is a slight hesitation then takes off.

Any ides?

Accelerator pump diaphragm split or perished or perhaps the rod not fitted correctly when carb reassembled

Brian

The diaphragm was replaced, but I did not do anything with the rod. I was following directions from the service manual...

I assume you mean the rod that goes down through the boot onto the diaphragm? This was my first attempt at rebuilding a carb.

What kind of adjustments are needed to the rod?

thanks,

William

Just to ensure it is sitting in the correct position and that it does operate when the throttle is opened quickly
remove the air cleaner from the bike and look down the throttle body of the carb snap the throttle open and there should be a good squirt of fuel going straight through the venturi
the direction of the squirt of fuel can be adjusted by gripping and twisting the spray nozzle

Brian

Roger that! I just got it back together and showered.. I'll check that first thing in the morning.. thanks for the help.

ThaZiPSteR

At idiling speed, bike seems like it is starving for fuel, when you give it some gas, it snaps out of it, but sometimes it takes longer than others to snap out of it. Any auggestions? Possible fuel pump or injectors???

ok so here's the update.. I went out and took air filter off, snapped throttle, saw no fuel. opened up carb, all looked good, reinstalled...

While playing around this time, bike starts great and idles great. snap throttle, and every now and then I saw a few drops of fuel fly out. one time fire even flew out. I assume that accelerator pump is working but just not spraying fuel where it pose to go. when you say a good squirt, do you mean a highly visible shot of fuel, or do you mean a mist? I'm not sure why it would not be pumping, I may have to pull it again and investigate further.

thanks again for any help.

The squirt of fuel should be fairly noticeable as a definite stream of fuel so somewhere in the accelerator pump area you have a bit of a blockage
looks like you have to strip carb again and soak the accelerator pump jets and tubes in carb cleaner and hope that it eats through the blockage

Brian

The circuit from the accelerator pump can be cleaned if you have a hypodermic needle and syringe. The stream needs to be strong.

thanks guys! I'm a nursing student, so I just happen to have a needle. It worked great, this time I didn't even pull the carb. I just dropped the pump plate. Had a towel stuffed in venturi anyway, now its working great.. I will really get to try it out tomorrow, but there's a fireworks show at the base tonight and we are taking my little niece.

thanks again!

Back