free website stats program Heritage softail rear wheel removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage softail rear wheel removal

Rumplebear

Hi. New member recently acquired 2012 model with v& h duals . welcome any tips on getting rear wheel off with minimum shifting of pipes

Welcome to the forum. I'm not real familiar with Softails, but some general wheel removal tips. Mark the position of your belt tensioners against the swingarm. Mark your left and Right spacers, and arrow to in or out on both (some spacers have a chamfer on one end). If the axle goes in from the right side and requires muffler removal, put it back in from the left side. The bike does not have to be high to remove wheel, tilt it and slide out. Mark your wheel for direction of rotation if a HD shot is not going to do the tire. Not everyone knows which side is which
I'm sure I've forgotten a few items, but the 2nd inning of the Little League World Series has me distracted!

First think I would suggest is to go to the dealer and get the service manual for your bike.

IIRC, the axle pulls out from the right side. Not sure about the fitment of the V&H Duals but worst case is that the mufflers have to be removed which you might want to do to avoid damaging the chrome and allowing total access to the rear wheel. If you are careful, you could probably wrap them with something and loosen the mount brackets to lower them just a bit.

The brake and disc can be tricky and you may be speaking in tongues before you figure out the right angle, etc. but just be patient. If you have any wear on the pads at all, this would be a good time to replace them and the tire as well if needed.

The softail belt tensioners are the screw type so there is no need to mark them. Just measure as you adjust from both sides to insure the wheel is centered in the swing arm as you adjust the belt tension.:s

First think I would suggest is to go to the dealer and get the service manual for your bike.

IIRC, the axle pulls out from the right side. Not sure about the fitment of the V&H Duals but worst case is that the mufflers have to be removed which you might want to do to avoid damaging the chrome and allowing total access to the rear wheel. If you are careful, you could probably wrap them with something and loosen the mount brackets to lower them just a bit.

The brake and disc can be tricky and you may be speaking in tongues before you figure out the right angle, etc. but just be patient. If you have any wear on the pads at all, this would be a good time to replace them and the tire as well if needed.

The softail belt tensioners are the screw type so there is no need to mark them. Just measure as you adjust from both sides to insure the wheel is centered in the swing arm as you adjust the belt tension.:s

I Agree

Back