free website stats program Heritage Softail Classic V&H True Dual exhaust suddenly sounds louder | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage Softail Classic V&H True Dual exhaust suddenly sounds louder

There's no need to wait on the synthetic oil, you can do that any time. The CVO bikes come from the factory with a synthetic fill (semi synthetic syn 3) Any motor will break in just fine with a full synthetic oil in it. The reason some wait is because they usually do an oil change at 100 miles and they save a few $$ this way by using a dino oil at first.

Hey guys, me again.

Well, just got her back from the dealership, and this is what they reported:

1) Exhaust noise: exhaust gets louder aftger it breaks in. They claim that even the
standard baffles for V&H have some glass packing in it, and after that expands and
contracts after a few hundred miles, it shrinks up a little and will give you louder exhaust

2) Vibration: Front mount not to torqued properly - also after break in, it's normal to
get a little more vibration - but it's all within spec.

3) Exhaust 2: Different sound then when first installed: Checked for leaking valve guide
seals by taking out the plugs, checked for fouling and oil leakage in the cylinder - nothing
found, plugs look new

4) Tappit block weeping oil: Actually was coming from the air cleaner, wiped off and
tested - nothing found

I'm mostly interested in #1 - is it true that even standard baffles have a little bit of
glass pack?

Hope everyone had a good Christmas

Yeah, I didn't think the standard baffle had any glass pack.

But I have heard from some people that exhaust will get a little louder
after it breaks in, have you ever heard that?

If I think about it, I don't see anything the engine could be doing to make the
exhaust more loud. The engine doesn't skip, sputter, anything. So if the exhaust
is more loud, I think it would point to breaking in exhaust.

I was told to get the quiet baffles because the standard baffles could get a little loud.

Very interesting thread, as a fabricator and often baffle inventor. I just bought the Patriot Defenders and could not be more ecstatic. Every ride gets better sound, there is obviously some glass in there, as when I ran it with the gates shut, it ran lousy and some white fibers appeared into the exhaust thru the holes, telling me that it IS a glasspack.
At half gate, she sounds good enough to run next to a cop and has better torque than any other setting; nice rapoff too.
I have had to retighten the header bolts twice, put a wire tie on the adjustable gate to stop the wear rattling, and I wouldn't trade these for any other pipe out there. They are fantastic,but taught me that there IS a break-in period with glasspacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back