free website stats program Heritage Softail Classic V&H True Dual exhaust suddenly sounds louder | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage Softail Classic V&H True Dual exhaust suddenly sounds louder

bdambrose

Hey everyone,

I have a 2008 Heritage Softail Classic. After the 1000 mile service, I
put V&H True Dual exhaust, Screaming Eagle air filter, and the
race tuner on it.

It sounded and ran great.

But yesterday, on the way home in traffic, suddenly it seemed like
my exhaust on the left side, seemed to get louder.

I played it off as my imagination. Typically, the V&H true dual, with
standard baffles, had a deep, low roar when being ridden hard, and pretty
tolerable when just cruising.

But now, it's just LOUD. All the time. And it's not as deep and throaty
anymore.

In the garage, I put my ear next to the exhaust and the left side
definitely sounds more loud and "rappy" then the right side, which
is still rumbling nice and low and deep.

What could be doing this?

I thought it might be the baffle or maybe a blown exhaust gasket. Would a loose baffle make it higher pitched and "rappy" like that?

it's definitely NOT a vibration sound, the exhaust sound has changed. I'm starting to feel the vibration of the RPMs in the handle bars which I've never felt before.

The exhaust only has 600 miles on it. I do tend to ride it at like 95 MPH for 30+ miles
at a time. I have some oil "weeping" on my front push rod base, I think it's called
the tappet block, with some heat discoloration on the chrome push rod cover
on the same head. I'm worried that it's something serious.

bdambrose;80651.6 said:
I do tend to ride it at like 95 MPH for 30+ miles
at a time.

I sure hope you got the extended warranty because that motor will soon need some attention.:s

Check the mounting bolts on the exhaust system also to make sure they aren't loose and I would suspect the packing has burnt out with that type of riding.

Hobbit has a point there too about the crank runout.

If a Harley can't take 95 MPH, then I bleeping selling it...LOL

I do hear a lot of crank "whirring" even at speed. The bike is new, so it should
be covered.

I have the standard baffles, and I DO have the extended warranty ;-)

Please tell me driving at high speed is NOT an issue.

Harley motors over the years have evolved somewhat but not like other motors. These motors are little more than an old tractor motor that are in these bikes and will not live too long with that kind of abuse.:newsmile058:

What kind of oils are you using in the 3 holes?

I used the standard oil that the dealership uses. It's just during my commute, if I'm running late. It's not how I typically ride every day. I usually cruise it around 70-75 MPH.

Maybe I should have the dealership warranty the service and use that time to upgrade to the 103 cubic inch kit ;-)

The vibes are not excessive, just can feel it in the handle bars where I didn't used to.

The discoloration isn't blueing, it's more of a brown discoloration, but I think that still shows signs of heat. The discoloration was happening before I had the exhaust done

they never told me to get the exhaust checked at 100 miles. I would think you would have to with the heating and cooling of the exhaust.

I'm going to put in synthetic at the 5000 mile service, when she's good and broken in.

So, my dealer needs to check:
lifters
push rod cover
exhaust
tappet block leak
baffles

Back