free website stats program Heritage Pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage Pipes

sampson80

Just bought a 2011 Heritage and go in a couple weeks go to get Vance and Hines Big Shot Long's installed. I went off the dealer recommendation because I am not real savy on exhaust. Was this a good choice? I am looking for good sound and maybe something to help it run a little cooler.

Welcome to the best forum in the universe Sampson80, if that IS your real name. (Just kidding) I don't know about cooler temprature, but they will be cooler style and sound. V&H are great! Not sure why dealer reccomended them, maybe they carry that brand? My dealer reccomends Rhienhard's probably because he carrys them.

You might want to take a few days to watch this web site. You'll learn a ton! When you upgrade pipes at the dealer, I am certain they will also do a download to your bike so they run right. A lot of guys on here run a Dobeck TFI instead of doing the download. It's about the same price, and you can dial it in. And if you make other changes later you can adjust to those changes instead of another download.

Welcome - and dig in!

I really like the looks of the Big Shots Long on a Heritage. The only thing stopping me from getting them is everything I've read on them is they are pretty loud. The people posting all said they liked the sound but that they were loud. I know loud relative so each person gets to determine if its too loud.

I don't know that just changing exhaust will cool things down - I think you'll need to add some fuel in order to do that. Lots of good advice on the site on adding fuel.

Adding fuel and or a fan is going to cool your bike down, Lean from the factory, leaner yet with pipe or air cleaner change

I agree with all the replies about the need to add fuel to actually cool things down but will add this. Changing pipes can possibly make you more comfortable by rerouting the pipes away from you but at the same time you may find that you have made another spot where your legs and/or thigh may actually be closer to the exhaust.

With my stock pipes there seemed to be a lot of heat on my right inner thigh then when I changed to the Rinehart Crossbacks the hot spot was more toward the lower section of my right leg as these pipes stood out farther than the stock pipes. Then I changed to the V&H True Duals and now the hot spot is on my left inner thigh due to the pipes design being closer at that point.

For what its worth, both exhaust changes made the heat situation better for me, and my better half agrees, compared to the stock exhaust.

I think you will enjoy the sound and looks if the V&H pipes, and here is another product to consider to help reduce the felt heat from the engine.
RJS Originals Inc

Congrats on you purchase :cheers

Thaks for the replies. Like I said I am not expert on exhaust and am brand new to bikes altogether. This is probably a dumb question but I have read people talking about quiet baffles?? Can someone break this down to me what these are? Is this something permanent or something you can add and remove fairly easy?

sampson80; exhaust pipes have baffles to control backpressure & sound. Most manufacturers place a common baffle in their products, based on preference, testing, history, etc. V&H does make a quiet baffle where they alter (wrap) vents to reduce audible. This way if you don't like the stock sound - QB's will take it down a bit. Not too spendy (~$30) and some states might require w/new noise laws. Welcome & enjoy the new exhaust - V&H makes great systems.

Attachments

• VH QB.jpg
    VH QB.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Sampson, given that this will be your first bike here is what I highly suggest. I truely would not change a thing to the bike at all until I had about 5,000 miles on it at least. The bike runs and sounds and looks just fine as is from the factory. Especially for a new rider. Then as you are out there riding around you will be figuring out what you like or don't like about the bike. You will also be finding other riders along the way who have made some changes to their bike, some of these changes you will like, some you won't like. You can always go back later and get pipes. Do yourself a huge favor and hold off on any immediate modifications.

Baffles are usally sold by the manufature of the pipes, they are insatalled inside the pipes to create more back pressure to route the exhaust through baffles and in some case insulation of some sort. Some man. sell different levels of baffles so you can change them out relatively easy to make it as quiet as you like.

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure It was something I could do after the installation if it was too loud. I have only heard good things about V&H so I hope it was a good choice. Thanks

Back