free website stats program Heritage Kickstand | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage Kickstand

Hey FB, what is that you have mounted on there and how was the drilling through the jiffy stand toe kick?

Let me take a shot at this, looks like an allen head bolt, two locknuts and a piece of rubber hose. Let's see how close I am.:D

That would be a 3/8"X 2 3/8" (2 1/2"?), Coarse thread, Stainless, Hex Head Bolt with 2 Plated Jam Nuts, and 5/16" Fuel line. What you can't see is the drop or two of Blue Loctite. I wiped the excess off. The tab was threaded before assembly and I wanted to over do it a little.

Point of contact has been moved up by 2" and back by about 1 1/4" She seems to like it.

The fuel line is only for cosmetics, it covers the exposed threads on the bolt and the black color goes with the rest of the bike.

Glider is correct, and no penalty for missing the loctite!

That would be a 3/8"X 2 3/8" (2 1/2"?), Coarse thread, Stainless, Hex Head Bolt with 2 Plated Jam Nuts, and 5/16" Fuel line. What you can't see is the drop or two of Blue Locktite. I wiped the excess off. The tab was threaded before assembly and I wanted to over do it a little.

Point of contact has been moved up by 2" and back by about 1 1/4" She seems to like it.

The fuel line is only for cosmetics, it covers the exposed threads on the bolt and the black color goes with the rest of the bike.

Glider is correct, and no penalty for missing the lactate!

Thanks for taking it easy on us and giving Glider the POINTS :D

I think I see what Bilbo is complaining about. Sometimes when I park my bike on a crested parking space, when you deploy the jiffy stand it swings an arc that hits the crest at about 5 o'clock before the stop at the 8 o'clock position. Making it easy to drop the bike if not paying attention position before lowering bike to lock it.

Because the 8 o'clock angle must be achieved before the jiffy stand latch/lock can be engaged, the lowered bike ground clearance to long jiffy stand conspire to make you have to lean the bike way over to the right so you can complete the arc to the stop...then lean the bike into the stand latching it. With a load on the bike, you have to lean the bike even farther to the right in order to deploy fully to the stop and engage lock.

Solutions - 1) pay closer attention to parking space, if crested, have passenger get off (the can also help pull loaded bike on your instructions if necessary, into the parking space at an angle so you can try different places within the space that allows proper jiffy stand deployment down or up at a safe lean angle so you can later just pull out astride the bike, 2.) never try parking/moving bike with passenger load on jiffy stand deploying down or up on a lowered bike, once jiffy stand is up, hold the bike steady and then passenger can get on. 3.) get the proper length jiffy stand (especially if your bike is lowered or "inseam challenged" you will have to lean the bike further to the right and having loaded bike aggravates this, so you want to be astride the bike with no weight on the seat.

Last edited:
Please allow me just one more post on this subject. I dont think this is right.... but with my 2001 Heritage on level ground - parking lot, with my wife and I on the bike, I have to tilt the bike over past vertical to the right side just to get the kickstand up. If the parking spot is tilted up slightly on the left side, I almost have to turn the bike over to get the KS up - OR if it is in dirt!!! Is there a spring that is too weak or is the KS bent or what? This just doesnt sound right to me. I have an '01 Vstar 1100 and as soon as I begin to take weight off the KS - it clears the ground, doesn't even have to come up to vertical to raise it.

Thanks for any input
Bill

The hd kickstand has a projection that slides into a slot when the weight of the bike goes on to it thus locking the kickstand down so if something nudges the bike forward when on the kickstand the stand will not fold and drop your bike
bike needs to be upright for the stand to unlock so that it can be folded if you have no weight on the bike then it should fold when upright but if there is weight on the bike and the suspension is compressed you may have to lean the bike slightly to the right to allow the stand clearance to unlock and fold

Brian

The hd kickstand has a projection that slides into a slot when the weight of the bike goes on to it thus locking the kickstand down so if something nudges the bike forward when on the kickstand the stand will not fold and drop your bike
bike needs to be upright for the stand to unlock so that it can be folded if you have no weight on the bike then it should fold when upright but if there is weight on the bike and the suspension is compressed you may have to lean the bike slightly to the right to allow the stand clearance to unlock and fold

Brian

Thanks Brian, very meaningful info. I still believe it is just wrong to HAVE to raise the bike past vertical just to get the KS up.

Thanks again
Bill

Thanks Brian, very meaningful info. I still believe it is just wrong to HAVE to raise the bike past vertical just to get the KS up.

Thanks again
Bill

On my softail the stand can be folded with the bike upright however if there is a lot of weight on the bike or the bike has been lowerd then that might not be the case as the frame will be closer to the ground

Brian

I'm with you Bill. I have to raise mine past vertical. Sometimes quite a bit past before the stand is loose from the pavement.

I'm with you Bill. I have to raise mine past vertical. Sometimes quite a bit past before the stand is loose from the pavement.
Last nite, I went out to shed to bike, I was standing on the left side of bike -- grabbed the left handle bar and the pass back rest - stood the bike up vertical - KS was still touching the concrete!!!! NO weight on the bike. I actually had to lean it over past vert a bit just to get the KS up. That's what Im talking about - not right! I do the exact same thing to my vstar - with bike up vertical, the KS is about 2" off the floor. EDIT -- the KS must come all the way off the floor to get it up. IF it is touching the concrete, I cant slide it on the concrete to get it up - still too much drag (wt) on it.

Bill

Last edited:
Bill, went to garage and checked my '07 Heritage with the same "concrete floor" test. When the bike is vertical, I have two inches (toe of boot slides under) of clearance between the bottom of the kick stand and the concrete floor - and that is with 180 lbs of me on the seat.

Check you ground clearance - should be 5.1 inches - something is not right.

Bill; If you are not the original owner it's possible that the bike has been lowered. That would explain needing to go past vertical. Also, I think there is a difference in ride height (and kickstand length) between the Heritage Classic and the Deluxe?

Back