free website stats program Heritage Kickstand | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage Kickstand

Billbo

Hello all ...... I have a 2001 Heritage. I also have short legs (not a tall person) and I can reach the kickstand to put it up -- but its a reach. AND I have to lean the bike over towards the right to take weight off and get the stand up. My question, one a new bike, IF you lean it over to the right to take weight off the kickstand, does the KS come up by itself? IF not, can I put a stronger spring on it so it will come up by itself?

Thanks
Bill

You have to take the weight of the stand so the locking mechanism will disengage.
I don't think putting a stronger spring is the answer, it could retract when you are parking the bike unknown to you and that would prove damaging.:s

I put a stand on my Heritage off a Deluxe. It has a longer spike on it so it's easier to find and fold back.

Not sure if a stronger spring will help but on my 08 the kickstand will not retract on its own if the bike is leaned over to the right side.

Sounds like geezer found a great cure.

Hello all ...... I have a 2001 Heritage. I also have short legs (not a tall person) and I can reach the kickstand to put it up -- but its a reach. AND I have to lean the bike over towards the right to take weight off and get the stand up. My question, one a new bike, IF you lean it over to the right to take weight off the kickstand, does the KS come up by itself? IF not, can I put a stronger spring on it so it will come up by itself?

Thanks
Bill

Auto-retracting side stand is dangerous IMO...most European style like BMW, Ducati, even my gals' Vespa bikes have this "feature"...can't tell you how many times I have seen owners drop their bikes... "If it happens once it's a bug, if it happens more than once it is a feature...yechhh I do not consider dropping a bike a feature...no thanks!:small3d031:

Thanks
Bill
I have been dying to post this...
The S/O has a mild case of I.D.S. (Inseam Deficit Syndrome) and a 2003 Fat Boy that has also been lowered. She has a similar problem and this was my solution:

You have to take the weight of the stand so the locking mechanism will disengage.
I don't think putting a stronger spring is the answer, it could retract when you are parking the bike unknown to you and that would prove damaging.:s
Thanks Glider ....

I put a stand on my Heritage off a Deluxe. It has a longer spike on it so it's easier to find and fold back.
Thanks geezer - but what are you calling a "spike"?

Not sure if a stronger spring will help but on my 08 the kickstand will not retract on its own if the bike is leaned over to the right side.

Sounds like geezer found a great cure.
Thanks Triple J - good info

Auto-retracting side stand is dangerous IMO...most European style like BMW, Ducati, even my gals' Vespa bikes have this "feature"...can't tell you how many times I have seen owners drop their bikes... "If it happens once it's a bug, if it happens more than once it is a feature...yechhh I do not consider dropping a bike a feature...no thanks!:small3d031:
Thanks NEWHD74FAN - certainly dont want to drop the bike.

I have been dying to post this...
The S/O has a mild case of I.D.S. (Inseam Deficit Syndrome) and a 2003 Fat Boy that has also been lowered. She has a similar problem and this was my solution:

Thanks FB - I dont see how that would help me - I would need something that would reach farther back towards me.

ALL - thank you so much for your replys. I can raise and lower my KS OK. I just have to use the tip of my toe to reach it to pull it back up. My KS really needs to be mounted farther back on the bike or have a 2-3" extension that is bent back toward the back of the bike. PLUS - I have to really lean it far to the right to get the KS to come up without digging in the ground. With my wife onboard -- WAY over to the right is not a good thing just to get the KS up.
GLIDER - am I doing this correctly? -- multipost to all and thanking them with one post? Really IF I ask a question and anyone responds, I feel like I should tell them "thankyou".

Bill

GLIDER - am I doing this correctly? -- multipost to all and thanking them with one post? Really IF I ask a question and anyone responds, I feel like I should tell them "thankyou".

Bill

You're doing just fine Bill.

Thanks

Trying to solve this problem in my mind...

When you are sitting on the bike, feet on the ground, jiffystand down, is the jiffystand touching the ground still? Are you standing on your toes to reach the ground? If you bent over and tried to reach the jiffystand with your left hand how far out of reach is it?

Trying to solve this problem in my mind...

When you are sitting on the bike, feet on the ground, jiffystand down, is the jiffystand touching the ground still? Are you standing on your toes to reach the ground? If you bent over and tried to reach the jiffystand with your left hand how far out of reach is it?

thanks Mad Dog -- I dont know how far I have to reach the KS by hand -- but I cant! with the KS down, I can pull the bike up to 'center' and the KS is still down, I have to lean the bike over to right and then reach it with my toe to pull it up. I suppose that is 'normal' but it is a long reach for me. BTW, I can sit on bike and reach the ground FINE- both feet flat on ground.

I can (and will I guess) live with it. -- haha - just thought of something,, perhaps I should just tie a string onto it to pull it back up!!:bigsmiley12:

Bill

Back