Heritage Goes Dead

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by HD86flst, Jun 30, 2013.

1. HD86flst

HD86flst New Member

This happened twice so far. First time I was driving up hill slowly and the bike went dead, hit the starter button and nothing, turned off and on the ignition switch, started right up. Second time it was idling waiting for me to open the garage door to put it away and once again just went dead and only re-started after I turned the switch off and on again. Any ideas? I'm thinking the ignition switch is going bad. Taking the bike to Sturgis this year and would like to resolve this before I go. I should mention it's a 1986.

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Sounds like the contacts on the underside of the ignition switch are worn out. Time to replace the switch.

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Be sure to check the battery cables on both ends for tightness and being clean.

1 person likes this.
  4. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

dbmg has you covered here. Start with the maint issues first. Thanks dbmg

5. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

If that's the original switch you may want to change it out anyway. In the after market world they are available in either mechanical or electronic. I've had better luck with the the electronic. Just make sure it's for your year model.
    tourbox

6. HD86flst

HD86flst New Member

Thanks guys for the comebacks. Yes the lights do stay on when the engine dies. I'll check the cables and the kill switch, and look for a new ignition switch, which I did replaced a few years back. Replacing the kill switch isn't such a bad idea either. I'll let you know how it turns out.

7. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Please do. This is so important when folks come here with an issue. When you figure out the fix, sharing it here helps out so many people in the future!

8. 76_shovel

76_shovel Member

Also check your battery ground, I have seen similar actions when the battery ground was loose, bike would start then all of a sudden quit, yet it would start up again. It only takes a moment of no ground for the ignition to quit.

worth a quick check

Chuck

9. HD86flst

HD86flst New Member

Thanks guys.... I replaced the ignition switch and went with the electronic one. Works great and yes the contacts were pretty dirty on the old switch.
    :)

10. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

Yes sir re Bob. Nice follow up and glad you got-er fixed.
    tourbox