free website stats program Heritage bars on a Road Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage bars on a Road Glide

Jim B.

The handlebars on my '09 Road Glide are just a bit too far away. My arms are nearly straight as I ride down the road. I've heard that some people have replaced the Road Glide handlebars with Heritage handlebars. However, doing that apparently moves the bars back about 3 inches and that seems like a bit too much. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has made the switch and what their experience was.

I love the heritage style handlebar , 3" is not to much it is just right IMO , you should like them I have yet to hear of any complaints from anyone that has done this upgrade :newsmile106:

Last edited:
I dont know about the ABS thing but if you get HD part # 56902-08 that bar has the notches on the throttle side for the throttle by wire sensor .

Hi ironmark. The part # you mentioned states that no other cables/wires are needed, so I assume you can reuse everything when you change out the bars. Can you confirm that?

Also, I have a Clearview shield that when I turn the bars all the way to either side, the mirror stems come w/in 1/4" of hitting the shield, would you think the new heritage bars would cause it to hit OR create more distance?

Thanks for the advice!

Hi ironmark. The part # you mentioned states that no other cables/wires are needed, so I assume you can reuse everything when you change out the bars. Can you confirm that?

Also, I have a Clearview shield that when I turn the bars all the way to either side, the mirror stems come w/in 1/4" of hitting the shield, would you think the new heritage bars would cause it to hit OR create more distance?

Thanks for the advice!

You can use the same cables & wires & it will give you more distance between the mirrior & windshield I have 1-1/2". The heritage bars will also raise the mirror some to give you better vision behind you . You will have to take the instrument bezel off (I cheated & did not take it completely off ) & you will have to take off the outer fairing so you can unplug the throttle sensor wiring harness . There is a plug inside the handlebar for the twist grip throttle sensor & you can not pull it out of the handlebar far enough to unplug it , that is why you must take off the outer fairing . There is another plug for the twist grip throttle sensor wiring harness located in the wire bundle underneath the radio , you must unplug that plug to give you enough slack to pull the harness out far enough to unplug the connector inside the handlebar . I took a wire & put it through the new handlebar & taped it to the wire harness that goes through the bar & pulled the wires through the new bars . Then it is just putting it back together . 1 more tip when putting the switch housings back together make sure the wires do not pinched between the upper & lower housings . It is not hard to do it just takes a little time also make sure to use a cover to protect your gas tank .

I tried the Heritage bars and the Khromewerks +2 sweepers. I liked the sweepers a little better and kept them on. I still have the Heritage bars (nothed for TBW) for sale in the sale section.... and they're cheap.

I bought my RG used, and the previous owner had apes on it. I wasn't crazy about them, and I, too, was having to reach too far forward for comfort.
After trying a half dozen bars for better reach (holding the base on top of the installed bars), I found that simply changing the angle on the apes worked best. I loosened the bars and just angled them down a bit, which not only lowered them, but move the grips closer to my body.
A purist would probably say that angled apes don't look right, but I'm fine with it and have been able to make fine adjustments very simply.
And, of course, there's no change in cables. All I had to do was readjust the angle of the mirrors.

Not sure about the Glide but I put them on (myself) my Road King and I'm sold. My thumb would go completely numb in about a half hour. I just made a 220 mile ride Sunday and my thumb never even got tired. If you look at your hand position with the stock bars you will notice your hands bend in at the wrist. With the heritage bars, your hand is in a naturally straight position. I think it only pulled my grips back about 2" and it also helped my upper back. No back problem anymore either. I'm sold. No cable change, just follow the directions in the manual. I wish I'd have taken pics but I forgot. Once I got started, the process was a piece of cake. You just have to be careful not to pull too hard on the cable in the headlight when you pull the fly by wire cable out of the throttle end of the bar. Also, don't forget to place something (1/8") in the front brake lever before you remove the clamshell so you don't tear the switch rubber seal. On reassembly, don't pinch the wires at the clamshell.

Back