free website stats program Heritage bars again | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage bars again

I'd like to put Heritage bars on my fatboy. My question is;what is involved when it comes to moving all of the control componants for one bar to the other?

There wasn't a lot to it, but be careful. You don't want to drop something on that beautiful Harley paint. I also took that opportunity to install some custom HD grips on the new bars.
It has been a few years, but as I recall I first removed the controls via the scews holding the large clamps together. carefully let the controls hang by the cables.
Remove the bolts holding the handlebar to the forks.
Semi-loosely install the controls and grips to the bar. You will want to adjust to position of the grips after you position the bars where you want them.
Place the new bars on the forks and reinsall that hardware.
The brake line is a thin metal tube which needed to be form-fitted to the bars. Just bend it by had so that it lines up better.
I just can't stress enough to cover the gas tank with towels or some kind of pad to protect it.

I had external cables on my 04 FB. If you have internal cables it is going to be a bit more complicated.
As long as you are reasonably handy with a screwdrive, you will be fine.
Did I mention to protect the gas tank with towels? :s

Back