free website stats program Here's One For The Sound Doctors | Harley Davidson Forums

Here's One For The Sound Doctors

lionsm53

Banned
First nice riding day today since last November. Had the bike out listening to tunes from the IPOD, going down the road and next thing you know, NO SOUND. The Harmon Kardon in the 09 SG indicates that everything is working, CD player, IPOD and the Radio, but no sound, hmmmmm.... Stop in at my dealer, one of the techs comes out verifies the above and says I got a code that says open speakers. Hmmmm? ok. Says it could be something as simple as a disconnected wire, orrrrr maybe a pinched wire. At any rate, I decided to bring it home and after I pulled in the garage noticed while I was talking to my buddy about this situation I noticed that my speedo and tach lights were on but the bike was turned completely off. Hmmmm, pull saddlebag, side cover off pull fuse, leave it out for a bit plug back in fuse, speedo and tach light bulb comes on again.
Hmmm, throuoghly confused now, so left the fuse pulled until I get some ideas of why this might happening, any thoughts and or ideas would sure be appreciated. I'm thinking that it is all related somehow...No tunes and the speedo and tach bulb stuck on when ever the fuse is in. Thanks in advance.

Oh BTW it does have an upgraded Hog Tunes Amp tweeter pod and fairing speakers but it has been working fine in the garage, but today was the first day that it has been run on the road while listening to the tunes.

Have you checked for trouble codes on the speedo? And I would double check radio codes also to see if there's anything new.
Sounds like the outerfairing will have to come off anyway you look at it to check speaker conections.
Constant power is supplied to the speedometer through terminal 5 of connector. The speedometer turns on when power is applied to terminal 1. The speedometer proceeds through an initialization sequence every time power is removed and reapplied to terminal 6. The visible part of this sequence is the check engine lamp (in run mode), security lamp, backlighting,
odometer and fuel level. Upon ignition on, the check engine lamp and security lamp illuminate for four seconds and then (if parameters are normal) go out.

Hmm...It sounds like the stereo was installed properly because it worked for you while the bike was in the garage. The only thing that changed was vibration as far as I can tell. I'd recheck your amp/speaker connections and try a different grounding point for the amp. I'm not sure the two problems are related but I guess they could be. Good luck and let us know what fixed it.

I gotta tell you all, B1B is as much of a stand up guy as one could possibly want in their corner. He came over to my house today on his day off from work, and helped if not did all of the work on my audio issue. I was like his helper. I feel very fortunate to be in the same town as he is. This is not the first time that he has helped me out either. A good brother indeed!! Thank You so much Jim for helping me out of this new conundrum!! You guys should be so lucky to have someone in your corner like this. He's as good as they come. .

Looking over the original thread, it sounds like there is back feeding of power and likely the wiring is suspect, as speakers typically in "home" systems are isolated. Automotive and motorcycle systems MAY not be isolated, this is because they like to have the output audio stages DIRECT coupled, meaning non isolated so the output power is not limited by 1/2 the amount output driver components simplifying design, but making the outputs more sensitive to miswiring or poor grounding. Make sure the input wiring, is correct, that includes the low level input jacks and the polarity of the plug-ins that go into them.

Just remember any added accessories have to be thought out, such as the auxilliary input normally powered by an isolated battery pak IPOD or MP3 player. If you have an intermediate equalizer or other pre-amp that the polarity/isolation must be maintained. And don't forget the antenna input wiring (also should be isolated). That is why you need to follow the installation manual(s) carefully and use clean wiring, making it easier to troubleshoot if you have to...

Last edited:
We found the negative terminal broken off right at the battery. No power to the amp=no sound. The stock battery terminals from HogTunes are less than top quality...I'd recommend changing them to heavy duty terminals during the original install. No problem Steve, glad we found it.

Now, would someone please explain why this caused his speedo & tach backlighting to stay on (with ignition off) unless the main fuse was pulled...........that's got me stumped.

Lighting is not polarity sensitive, so back feeding if current is high enough can illuminate the bulb. Transistors and diodes are polarity sensitive, so if back fed, they will block current flow, unless leakage voltage is high enough to break them down...

Back