free website stats program Here is the Deal, Need advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Here is the Deal, Need advice

OK....guess I have to be the one to play "Devil's Advocate"!

You asked for advice.

The guys mean well, but telling you "it's your decision, do what you want" and "it's your money, do what you want", is NOT what you came here looking for, IMHO!

You came for ADVICE about what to do! You ALREADY KNOW it's "your bike" and "your money", right?? :D

So, here's a more direct answer.

DO NOT DO THE DEAL.

There is a reason the dealer will do an even trade, and it isn't because he just loves you and would make any sacrifice as long as you're happy.

He is doing it because HE IS STEALING YOUR TRADE.

If you REALLY want a Road King, OK.

Sell your Ultra, then go out and buy the RK, and POCKET THE DIFFERENCE. (and oh by the way, sell the parts you took off the Ultra and pocket THAT money too!)

That said, I wouldn't be so hasty to "off" your beautiful Ultra!

I ride an Ultra myself. But like you, I got tired of the extra weight and installed a quick-detach kit for the Tour-Pak, and changed out the seat and pipes, and guess what???

UltraBlackSeat1-1.jpg

It's a WHOLE NEW BIKE! I love what I've got now...a Street Glide with a fantastic sound system and the ride of a caddy. Wouldn't trade it for any Road King now, although it was something I might have considered before.

But here's the REAL BEAUTY of it all....

If I want a full fledged dresser Ultra, a couple minutes of snap-on, snap-off and I've got one again!

03UltraRear1.jpg

Can't do THAT with a Road King, right???

Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Think about that, and if you still want to do the deal,you need to think about it some more.

Richard I think you nailed it. The dealer is not your "friend". :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard does have a point, but then he is financially sensible with a very "disciplined" eye for a good deal. He also has the proper attitude and mentality for buying a new vehicle. Probably many of us could learn from him...the key like I said before is buying a new vehicle is an act of passion/emotion and when you are making the deal on the dealers "home court" you are at a severe disadvantage. Like I said before, the new RKC deal is financially not very sound, but the measure is still personal satisfaction...if the deal is good to you, a Harley can unbalance the best of us.

Richards...you Can do that to a King...you can put anything that an Ultra has on a King...then you have the option of removing the fairing (in about 30sec) and going windshield/no windshield.you can't do that with an Ultra...one thing an Ultra has that a King doesn't...is the air temp gauge...and we all know how great an option that is...lol

OK....guess I have to be the one to play "Devil's Advocate"!

You asked for advice.

The guys mean well, but telling you "it's your decision, do what you want" and "it's your money, do what you want", is NOT what you came here looking for, IMHO!

You came for ADVICE about what to do! You ALREADY KNOW it's "your bike" and "your money", right?? :D

So, here's a more direct answer.

DO NOT DO THE DEAL.

There is a reason the dealer will do an even trade, and it isn't because he just loves you and would make any sacrifice as long as you're happy.

He is doing it because HE IS STEALING YOUR TRADE.

If you REALLY want a Road King, OK.

Sell your Ultra, then go out and buy the RK, and POCKET THE DIFFERENCE. (and oh by the way, sell the parts you took off the Ultra and pocket THAT money too!)

That said, I wouldn't be so hasty to "off" your beautiful Ultra!

I ride an Ultra myself. But like you, I got tired of the extra weight and installed a quick-detach kit for the Tour-Pak, and changed out the seat and pipes, and guess what???

UltraBlackSeat1-1.jpg

It's a WHOLE NEW BIKE! I love what I've got now...a Street Glide with a fantastic sound system and the ride of a caddy. Wouldn't trade it for any Road King now, although it was something I might have considered before.

But here's the REAL BEAUTY of it all....

If I want a full fledged dresser Ultra, a couple minutes of snap-on, snap-off and I've got one again!

03UltraRear1.jpg

Can't do THAT with a Road King, right???

Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Think about that, and if you still want to do the deal,you need to think about it some more.

Good morning RichardS

Your comments are sensible and believe me this was a very difficult decision to make. I do understamd that the dealer is in bussiness to make money. How-ever I did a quick search on current 09 Used Ultra Glide's with about the same milage Most dealers are asking between 18,900-to 21k that being said the new 09 RKC that are still availible are staring out at 17,999 before taxes and dealer prep Lets say that I could sell the bike for 20K with all the accessories I would still have to pay dealer prep plus tax on top of the 17,999 So I feel the it is a wash. That being said the 2 bikes are different animals and it comes down to what purpose the bikes serve. I still may regret the deal unfortunately one I commit there is no going backI

Time will tell

Thanks for your input
Merry Christmas Everyone
Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

Richards..you have to explain to me how a 09 Ultra and a 09 RKC are two different animals...Are you talking riding characteristics? Other than one has a fairing and one has a windshield. Both have the same frame..F&R suspension...rake/trail wheel base..lean angle..engine/trans...rear tire... an Ultra is 79lb heavier....A Dyna and a Touring/Sporty and a Touring/Softail and a Touring..now those are two different animals

I would say go for the Road King if thats the bike that makes ya happy, I have an 02 and love it, I have a J+M handle bar mounted cb and I can play a satellite radio through the audio out, and recieve cb and tunes through the helmet speakers,radio drops out when talking or receiving a message Im sure everyones familiar with the system, of course you have to pay for a radio subscription, however I move the radio back and forth between car and bike, not trying to say its near as good as the system on your ultra but I think an acceptable alternative. :pelao :glasses :rider

Sounds like you have your heart set on the Road King.As Richard stated they are different animals.The big difference is fairing vs. no fairing.Personaly MHO, if youre going to be doing some long distance you'll realy miss that fairing.

If you are just looking to shave some weight Id go with the detachable tour pack as others suggested.The lower legs also can be removed rather easily.

Finantualy Id be concerned with the hidden costs.Your Ultra with 10k on it you'd be lucky to get 17k private sale.Sure its worth MORE but at 17k it makes more sense to spend the extra 4 for a bike with no miles on it.So in your case yes, your dealer is your friend.He's perhaps the only one in the market for your bike.

The hidden costs would include another 1k in sales tax..man 2k in sales tax for a bike in the same year would realy turn me off.Then in my state we have excise tax.So you'd have 2 hits on your Ultra at $300..and because you just purchased a new one add another $300.Ouche!Add at least another $1500 to the 4k you already have yourself convinced you'r losing.

Id do it if this is what you have your heart set on .However an extended warrenty or get them to throw in the sales tax would go along way.Or even for a 2010.Newer is worth more when it comes to resale..it just is.

I'll be the first to say that as a Newbie to this site, I am here to learn and not give advice. But, have you ever thought there just might be someone who has purchased a RKC and has buyer's remorse wishing they had purchased an Ultra Classic? That might be an opportunity to swap bikes and have a some cash coming in your direction. Just a thought and perhaps another way to end up with the bike you really want.

Personally, in looking at the difference in MSRP on the 2 models, I don't think the dealer is treating you badly. He is entitled to a profit on whatever new product he sells. Your job is to minimize that profit. What would you say is the depreciated price, in this economy, on an '09 Ultra with 9,000 miles? Where does that make the trade difference end up in true dollars?

Good Luck with whatever your decision is. You sure cover all the bases with the information provided by the experienced members of this forum. But, you know that or you wouldn't be at this site asking opinions.

Back