free website stats program Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

Help!

bandit1

I own a 89 sportster 883 that i am having problems with,hoping someone could help. The carb is a S&S super g, it has a screaming eagle CDI box and coil. Engine hesitates off idle, surges going down the highway,but runs strong when in the throttle fairly hard. If the speed drops s little and you give a little more throttle is spits through the carb. Any ideas? Thanks

I own a 89 sportster 883 that i am having problems with,hoping someone could help. The carb is a S&S super g, it has a screaming eagle CDI box and coil. Engine hesitates off idle, surges going down the highway,but runs strong when in the throttle fairly hard. If the speed drops s little and you give a little more throttle is spits through the carb. Any ideas? Thanks
Is this a bike you have had or is it NEW to you...?.. Has IT ran good before this Problem came up OR is it an on-going problem??? and you are trying to fix it.

IDEAS........

Sounds like it is Lean or starving for fuel... Have you made ANY changes to the fuel side of things? Played with anything to cause it to do this? Like Switched Jets etc....? Accelerator PUMP spraying enough fuel into the venture?

I would think it could be Dirty or Slowed fuel INTO carb or air leak in the intake manifold.. Float Not adjusted properly. Gas tank screen plugged, not flowing enough gas.

I would check the simple things first.. Do the intake check for a seal leaking and the float ,for dirty condition.. Accelerator pump and ......

signed....BUBBIE

S&S Cycle, Inc. High Performance Motorcycle Parts for American V-Twins check their tech help sounds lean or maybe an intake leak?

s&s super G is recomended for over 90" motors that move lots of air. On an 883, it is way too much of a carb. That is s&s recomendations of course but I would tend to believe what they say. They claim that at lower rpms there is not enough air moving through the venturi to draw enough fuel through the jets, and will stutter and hesitate until in a higher rpm range. But, they also say that it will work best for higher hp on the top end, because it will move more air.
So, its your choice, new super E and better all around driveability, stay with the G and compromise for the top-end hp, or modify your motor to work with your carb. Personally, I would go with the 3rd option, but I'm stupid like that.

Sorry guys,i made a mistake about my carb,it is an S&S Super E not a G.

Then your accelerator pump is not squirting enough fuel and or your low/mid range jets are too small and bike is lean. Do you know what jets are in there?

If the set up you have ran fine and this is a new issue , Sounds like a carb cleaning is in order , first thing I would do is check the filter and flow to carb, also check your gas cap and make sure it is venting and fuel is fresh Ive found with the super E it does not take much to effect these carbs if you just took your bike out of winter storage and it was in cold conditions for a period of time the carb and fuel system needs to be cleaned ,then if all that checks out drop the bowl n clean then pull and clean jets and check the float and seat needle.and ofcourse this could be a electrical problem battery condition would be somthing to check also.

Back