free website stats program Help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help

Thanks for all the input. I will be carefull with the degrease that I use! I sure don't want to mess up paint, chrome, powder coating, leather or anything else. I have worked too hard to get this bike in show condition. I am the original owner of the old girl and I have been showing her for 4 years now and I don't plan on having to stop because I messed something up.

I've used the Harley detailing wax in a spray can with plenty of rags when I'm trying to remove some of the grease and grime from the hind parts of my bike. After 25 years the gaskets seep somewhat. The wax cuts through grease but you would need plenty of rags and patience.

this idea may help but you'll still have to get rid of the water somehow. lay a water proof tarp down, roll the bike to the middle of it, form a curb around the entire perimeter by elevating the edges of the tarp onto boards 6" should be enough, now you have a pool. maybe you can do the job in the garage with a wood floor.

I've used the Harley detailing wax in a spray can with plenty of rags when I'm trying to remove some of the grease and grime from the hind parts of my bike. After 25 years the gaskets seep somewhat. The wax cuts through grease but you would need plenty of rags and patience.

I know the feeling my old girl (82 Iron Head) HAD an automatic chain oiler. I was always cleaning the back wheel off. I had that plugged up. Now I just lube the chain when I ride it.

I live in the north east.Also have a large barn wih wood floors and been in your position.Ive found running the bike a while {warming it up} before washing outside to work well.

You dont want to put cold water on a hot engine for obvious reasons.Warming it up and letting it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes seems to create just enough warmth overall on the bikes metal to combat the freezing conditions.Water cant freeze on a frame thats 50 degrees.

Just be careful of the parking lot on your way out.

I used this spray on car wash kit this year. I had cleaned the bike but the weather warmed up in December so I rode as much as I could then a cold snap forced me to put her away without a bath. Spray on, wait a minute where there is a lot of grime wipe off with the thick towels in the kit and then a good coat of wax. The bike looks great.

Back