free website stats program Help!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Help!!

BuffaloBill

Hey gang,
I don't know if it is only me But yesterday I attempted to replace my rear brake pads on my 09 Ultra NO LUCK I read Glider's advice also went o the Brembo site and Metal works PDF site

Brembo state that now Harley made it easy to remove the Rear caliper
to install new pads Am I missing something? I tried to remove the rear pad and it stikes the inner rim I read all the info and I still was unable to install the pads

PLEASE Help me out What am I doning wrong

PS I aslo got a set of front pads and the pads looked exactky like the rear pad set Are the front and rear pads interchagible?:33:

Appreciate any advice
BuffaloBILL

Last edited:
My first impulse was to let Glider answer but you may be anxious to get on with the job. I ONLY know from experience with an 08 RK. If I get too basic, no insult intended, only going from what you put in your post.

The caliper is the assembly which contains the pistons that squeeze the brake pads against the disk. It seems that if the caliper is left in place, there is not enough room to get the pads out without hitting the wheel. The caliper needs to be removed from its mount-two allen head bolts on my machine. Then the pads can be changed easily. As the new pads are thicker than the ones that came out, the pistons must be pushed back into their bores. I hope the videos you referenced cover that.

On my machine, the front and rear pads are the same/interchangeable. I found that hard to beleive until I got the hardware in my hands. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your resonse However I did remove the two bolts holding the caliper but the caliper will not come off the rotor enough because top of the caliper hits the inner botom wheel rim preventing it to come out

Thanks
Bill

I have an 09 SG and had mine off about a month ago. As you lift the caliper up tilt the top toward you. It should come right out.

Oiler
No Luck I even removed the lower shock bolts thinking that raising the frame would help clear the caliper from the rotor but it did not work

The caliper does not clear the rotor enough before the top of the caliper strikes the bottom edge of the rim thus preventing it from clearing off
This EDIT I guess i will need to take it to the stealer

Thanks for yor input
Bill

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep trying, you will get it. Try sliding the caliper down the rotor then lift and tilt. I remember I had a hard time too but after a while it came out.

Try getting the pistons pushed back into their bores first. This may give you enough room to tilt the caliper outward. Just a thought!:)

Classics right. You need to compress the pistons back into the bores,then the caliper will tilt enough to get it out, remember to compress the pistons fully before trying to put the newly loaded caliper back on, there's even less room with the new pads.

Another thing that may be preventing you from removing the pads is the anti-rattle spring clip may be dropping into the slot in the pads catching them just enough not to be able to get them out. And yes, if you do not push the pistons all the way into the bore (after wiping the exposed portion with a shoelace or similar the dirt may prevent it from going in or worse contaminate the tiny gap). I also use clear water from a spray bottle set to stream to clean loose stuff off first, as the brake dust and dirt is a fine slurry mess best left on a rag underneath so you can see what your doing in there...

Last edited:
Thank s Guys for the input
I did try to push the pistons in with a putty kinife earlier as well But I will try it agian this weekend
Thanks Again
Bill

Back