free website stats program Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Help

Kspaul353

Hello, New to this site and looking for some help with my starter on 2004 Wide Glide. This week I had to replace 5th gear in the tranny and after some minor adjustments the shifting is fine. The problem is that after a couple starts it don't want to start anymore. Sounds like the starter is working but more like it is hitting the side of the flywheel instead of hitting the gear. Yesterday I removed the primary again and lined up the gears and it was fine. Started this morning after a couple stops and tonight just to check I tried and again it just thumped the side of the flywheel. I did not have the service manual for this bike but used an earlier year for a softail, everything was pretty much on target as far as the manual and what needed to be done for removing and replacing the mainshaft. My buddy that was helping me, removed the starter while i was out chasing parts and I put it back together but not sure if I put the spring in the correct side of the bushing or not or if i the bushing is backwards. Did not have a schematic for the starter so I am not really sure either way but it does start at least 3 times before not starting again. Did I miss something somewhere? Thanks for any help.

Thanks, I will tear it back down after work today and move the spring. I think it is in the wrong place by looking at this.

TQ, thanks for the schematic. I had everything right but found that the locking tab that locks down the pinion gear was not all the way down on the bolt and was getting caught in side of the primary cover. Starting with no problems now, hope it stays that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back