free website stats program Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Help

gmongard

My oil cap is very hard to turn all the way on my 05 Sportster 1200c? It feels like Iam going to break it right off! Any help please!

My 02 sportster's oil tank cap is a bung type and a very tight fit,takes a fair bit of wiggling to get it out,not sure if your is a screw in type?

Mine is a 2006 ..... all newer screw type --pop-up's are a little tight....

I make sure the threads inside tank have extra oil on them each time i check the oil...(move the tip of dipstick around threaded part of tank)

this seams to help making it twist-off easier ...... mine gets tight on occasion but keeping oil ALSO on the male parts of dipstick body and O-ring and NOT putting it back-on wiped DRY is a must.

signed....BUBBIE

My 02 sportster's oil tank cap is a bung type and a very tight fit,takes a fair bit of wiggling to get it out,not sure if your is a screw in type?

Yeah the chrome pop up cap is hard to get up, heck half the Sporty HD riders have it not rotated flush simply because of it...even at the HD dealer. :newsmile040:

My solution was easy, I put the analog HD Oil Temp Chrome Guage...I know...$30-40 is a lot, but the dipstick/oil temp is a nice touch anyway. It basically tells me I am running the bike "cool" and even in 95 deg F heat, it still reads at most 200 deg F. :small3d036:

BTW HD riders playing with it probably looked like HairyDogBoys' avatar "Devil Dog" trying to get it off...been there and done that! :newsmile029:

Back