free website stats program Help with tank liner | Harley Davidson Forums

Help with tank liner

dyna94

Banned
I fought and fought to get gas to my carb by doing all the right things just in the wrong order. So it has come down to my liner in flaking away in my 94 dyna wideglide. I assume it is the liner as I have corn flake size pieces of a gray material floating around in the tank When I took the petcock off, the screen was all but clogged. I dumped the gas and added some fresh and sloshed it around and hopefully got all the loose stuff out. Now then, I have seen a lot of stuff about re-lining the tank it comes out to be about 50-50 on rather it is a good idea or not. The thought of buying a new tank from Harley ($1300.00) is insane. I guess my question is will acetone get rid of the liner that is in there now? I think I would rather put up with rust flakes for the summer than having a liner like Kreem come off again. Or does someone know an alternative to Kreem. Summer is here and it burns my butt that I am not out riding due to something this simple.

All gave some, some gave All.......Jane Fonda...[EDIT]

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if acetone is strong enough, but I would give it a shot. Understand your frustration, look in the Self Help Tips tab for pointers regarding this issue. You can also review the Search tab using keywords to see methods others have used to resolve issue. FYI around 2005 HD went to better tank that resolved the issue for most, and I can attest that as I replaced my '04 peaut tank on my carbed Sporty to '05 XL1200C for 4.2 gal. capacity and have no issues.

Just fought this on my '91 FXRS. I could never get more than about 80 -90 miles on a tankful, before it started sputtering. The Kreme had plugged the transfer tube between left-right tanks. It took a couple of days of soaking in acetone, and poking with a wooden stick to knock it all off. It looks like snot after an acetone soak!

No way I will ever coat another tank. It's easier to keep rust out of the carb than that stuff.

tank liners can b a pain but if i was u i would reline your tank i shy away from kreem never heard anything good about it ive used a product call kwik poly and its work well 4 me what i do when i line a tank is if there is bad rust i put some liquid rust converter/remover in. plug holes. and pour in so about 1/4 full and set tank on bottom 4 couple hours then lay it on its side 4 couple hours then top 4 couple hous and so on till rust remover has work on all parts of tank then dump that out a throw in some drywall screws and acetone or lacquer thinner or whatevers around and shake the (EDIT) out of it to get the remaining rust. only use rust remover if tank is really bad the scerws get alot of it then take magnet to get srcews out and rinse with your acetone or thinner a few times then do your liner and when you do the liner you will have to take compressed air or wire or something to unplug any crossover or any outlets in tank and fast cause the liner sets up quickly. i have never had a liner flake off yet knock on wood

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back