free website stats program Help with squeek noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Help with squeek noise

adalt2

Upon start up, my 06 Road King has developed a "belt squeek" sound that appears to be coming from the left side towards the back end. The belt isn't spinning, so I don't think it is that. Is there anything else I can check? I can't hear it when moving, but i can hear it while sitting at a light with the clutch in. The sound remains even in neutral. Not sure what to check next and I really don't want to take it to the dealership yet.

I would also check for loose fastners such as the heat sheild clamps,exhaust mounting points and anything else.
One time my bike had a rattle sound.The problem was the rear rubber exhuast mount under the left saddle bag.There was ecessive clearance so I just sqeezed the mount with channael locks to make it tighter.

Upon start up, my 06 Road King has developed a "belt squeek" sound that appears to be coming from the left side towards the back end. The belt isn't spinning, so I don't think it is that. Is there anything else I can check? I can't hear it when moving, but i can hear it while sitting at a light with the clutch in. The sound remains even in neutral. Not sure what to check next and I really don't want to take it to the dealership yet.

I had a similar problem with my bike. Sound is funny on a running bike. Hard to tell exactly where it is coming from. Get a stethoscope, long screw driver or a solid metal rod (I like 1/2" or 5/8" aluminium) and put your ear on it to see if you can isolate where the sound is actually coming from. Check particularly up towards the front of the inner primary case. What you want to make sure of is that the sound you are hearing is not the compensator grinding against the primary cover if the nut has backed off, or the rotor screeching if the splines have sheered. If you have ANY doubt, open up the primary and look. If you leave it and one of these is your problem, you will spend beaucoup pesos fixin' what gets torn up.

TQ

Not sure I believe this, but I may have found the problem. I checked everything mentioned and couldn't find a thing. Had the saddlebags removed and had spent a little time on my back looking. Disgusted, I decided to wash the bike and There it was! It seems the chrome mounting bracket holding the tail of the exhaust to bike is cracked in half. Not the mount have you, but the bar its self. Anyone know of a recall on the part? Thanks for all the info though.

Not sure I believe this, but I may have found the problem. I checked everything mentioned and couldn't find a thing. Had the saddlebags removed and had spent a little time on my back looking. Disgusted, I decided to wash the bike and There it was! It seems the chrome mounting bracket holding the tail of the exhaust to bike is cracked in half. Not the mount have you, but the bar its self. Anyone know of a recall on the part? Thanks for all the info though.

Wow! That plate is about 1/8-3/16" thick and beveled on both sides. Did you bottom out the muffler on that side? Is the muffler a bit mashed?

I do develop an irritating squeaking noise from the rubber isolators that those bars slide though. I have to spray some lube on them from time-to-time to quiet them back down.

I am still amazed that one would have cracked in half.

TQ

Last edited:
No, no damage to the muffler at all. I don't remember hitting anything hard. Everything was fine the previous Saturday before I rode 548 miles. Started it up the following day and there it was. It still amazes me. I am going to try to get down to the dealership today to find out if there was a factory recall or something. Seems kind of weird.

No, no damage to the muffler at all. I don't remember hitting anything hard. Everything was fine the previous Saturday before I rode 548 miles. Started it up the following day and there it was. It still amazes me. I am going to try to get down to the dealership today to find out if there was a factory recall or something. Seems kind of weird.

Go here , It will tell you of any recalls on the bike.

Service Check List Recalls - Harley Davidson Community

Alright it is all fixed. The chrome piece that connects to the brace for the exhaust was broke in half. The piece is about 1/8" thick and broke. Go figure. It cost $73 for the part and took less than 10 minutes to replace. Started it up...an the squeek was still there. Turns out all I needed to do was add some lube to the rubber mount bracing the exhaust. Would have never found the crack without the noise though.

Something like this?:D

Muffler Squeaks - Harley Davidson Community

If your broken piece is what I think it is where the bracket on the side of the rear fender connects to the muffler support , check under the fender for the brace that ties the left and right sides together. I have seen where that bracket breaks from road shock without that brace installed under the fender. Some bikes use a bumper back there to stiffen things up also.

Back