free website stats program Help with Ipod Lockup | Harley Davidson Forums

Help with Ipod Lockup

Merlynn

Friend tells me his Ipod keeps locking up when he plays it with the unit stored in his windshield pouch on his Ultra. Said I hadn't heard of that before. Well, I'm riding my Ultra and the same thing happened. The hard drive locked up. Couldn't get the song to stop or play. Couldn't turn off the unit. Had to sync it to my computer itunes to fix it.

I noticed this after I stopped for gas. Possibly turning the ignition off and on with the Ipod playing had something to do with it. Or not.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks!

I keep my iPod in my lower fairing, but never had it lock up in 3 yrs tho.

If it does freeze, hold the center & top of the circle buttons down at the same time until the screen goes blank. This will reboot the iPod software...

If I remenber right to reboot it after it locks up press the middle and menu buttons together and hold untill it reboots. You have to remember that the standard ipod is a spinning hard drive and excessive vibrations and josteling will mess them up. Try waping it in a soft cloth, a Crown Royal bag works good.

One of the reasons I went with the IPOD Touch - no hard drive. I knew I wanted to clip it to my handlebars and use it for tunes while riding.

Hope you figure it out.

Alternative would be to load up 100 songs or so on a CD and use that. Several threads lately about how to do that.

Also, If you haven't done so, hook it up to the computer and run ITunes. See if you have the latest software in it. Believe it or not, this worked for me with my IPod classic. Hasn't hung up in a while.

Cheers

Kobwo

Been running Ipod for several years now on the bike. No problems so far. I use it on those long runs it is so nice! I also use it to rebuild computers at work and the reason is that it is powered by the usb, small to carry, I can boot from it and carry several PC images. Makes life easier for sure. . . Love technology! :D
Ugly John

We had the same lock condition with the Ipod in the windshield pouch, For us it seems more related to a pos. heat condition, we first tried to cousion it so it wouldn't bounce arround, didn't seem to help, later we began to leave the cover open, this did help, and the 2'd thing we do is turn it off before restarting the bike. A fellow rider of ours has his mounted on the inner fairing and has never had an issue.

Thanks for the help. One of you mentioned the lower fairing and it's true. It never locked up there. That is peculiar. I may do a handlebar mount.

Since its a hard drive vibration will do it esp at idle on the bars.. there was a post the other night about Ipods where i was saying as many did here go to a flash drive when you need to get a new one

I doubt if this will help much but I do have a theory here. My husband & I got our ipods at the same store, on the same day, and with the same warranty. His had the same issue with locking up, mine has never done that. Here's the differences: I take my ipod in the house every evening, he doesn't, therefore giving a little weight to heat/cold effect. The other thing he had & I never did, was he had an upgraded stereo with the cable to plug the ipod into the back of the stereo & have the read out on the display. Not sure if the starting with the truck had anything to do with that.

My abuse would be in the work truck, I have my ipod in a case, that I keep mine in and I take the belt clip and hang it on my dash. It sets there all day, while I drive aimlessly about.

I doubt if the vibrations are good for the hard drives, however, I usually run my laptop open & on while driving around too. (I need it for prints for my job, and since I have this lightning fast machine from about 2003, I don't have the time to wait for it to boot at every job). So, I'm not convinced with vibrations yet, but for the record, I don't leave the laptop in the truck in cold weather. Some paranoia about freezing LCD's I guess. But the thing is 6 years old & still working.

The other difference between my ipod & hubbies is that I plug mine into the computer & re-sync it pretty regularly, he doesn't.

We ended up sending his off for repair, but he has not had much of a chance to use it other than in his shop. Temperature is set etc.....Good luck.

Back