Help with helmets

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Trek, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Trek

Trek Junior Member

I'm picking up new bike tomorrow and still haven't found a helmet I like. Can anyone give me an idea where to look for a good Dot half helmet? I will eventually be looking to get one for the wife and kids too so preferably somewhere we can try them on. Thanks.

2. Thorns

Thorns Active Member

Seeing your in Illinois, I suppose your going to ride home without a helmet. Go check out all the motorcycle dealers (metric too) in your area, until you find the helmet in the size and style you want. Then, check it out on the Internet to see how close their pricing is (versus shipping charge). Either go buy it, or order it. :s

Thorns

3. Trek

Trek Junior Member

Actually my neighbor is going to let me borrow his. I bought the bike in St. Louis Mo.

4. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

I just got one at the dealer. Got a great deal on it and it is very comfy.

5. TXMikey

TXMikey Junior Member

Like Thorn mentioned, check with dealers in your area, including the metric dealers. Some of them will carry a broad line of helmets, and they will be the nationally-known brands like Arai, Shoe, Scorpion, and others.

If there is a Cycle Gear in your area you can check there. You might also look for other independent motorcycle gear stores.

Enjoy the new ride!

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Just a quick note, DOT helmet is minimum for states that require helmets be worn. That said, EuroSpec helmets have better energy transfer than the harder Snell (read more expensive) designs. Go to all the dealers in your area HD & Metric and try on as many brands and styles as possible and note the brand, model, fit (snug so you cannot "spin it around on your head" and size.

Personally like motar & brick retailer to find the "one"...buy off the Internet once you are sure to get exactly what you want on your terms. I am 70/30 buying at the retailer rather than on line, but savings are there if you look.

7. gs34

gs34 Junior Member

Buying a + 20 thousand dollar motorcycle and the dealer isn't throwing in a helmet????
    I'd be asking for one!!

8. Randall K. Wilson

Randall K. Wilson Junior Member

What is it you don't like about Helmets you have looked at? Confused by your question, but want to help.

9. Cruiser5453

Cruiser5453 Member

Best choices are usually found at Honda dealers - best price and selection. Ride safely!

10. Redman

Redman Active Member

My wife would laugh at me when I say I have had 20 or more helmets over the past 20 years...I will tell you without a doubt the only one I really enjoy is an AGV dragon helmet. I picked it up for 120.00 or so and it is light and like not even wearing one...very aerodynamic and comfortable. Fashioned after helicopter aviator helmet. Dot too.