free website stats program Help with fuel gauge after removing fuel tank, 2007 Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Help with fuel gauge after removing fuel tank, 2007 Ultra Classic

JRA12345

I am new to this forum, that being said. I had my fuel tank repainted by local HD shop, after getting it back the fuel gauge did not work, gauge stayed on empty, and the low fuel light was on. (among other things) Returned it and the dealer and they fixed it. However the tank leaked gas from the sending/pump unit under the tank console and bubbled the paint. after some doing I got HD to repaint the tank, I was asked to remove and bring the tank to them, which I did, no big job. However after re installing it. The issue of the fuel gauge working and the low fuel light returned. I have checked the plug in connection at the tank. Has anyone had this experience, Does anyone have an idea of what to check or why this happens? Help would be appreciated.

Possibly the float level mechanism is hanging up? if it's stuck down the fuel light will stay on thinking it's low on gas.
Call the dealer that worked on it and find out what they did to fix it as you stated in your post.

There's a lot of possibilities inside the fuel tank. Wires, connectors, etc. A careless or unknowing hand putting the assembly together could cause a hang up.

Thanks, was hoppin for and easy answer,something I missed. The last time, 500 miles ago supposedly HD changed sending unit n there, ( 1st time I brought it back) but who knows, hate to bring it back to them, ever since they painted tank, it seems like I am always going back to their shop for what they fixed, (a do over) Since Nov , 2014 I have put 500 miles on it. Maybe 4 times in their shop will be the charm. LOL

Back