free website stats program Help with complete take off on primary system | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help with complete take off on primary system

Only use an impact tool if you aren't reusing any parts of the alternator, otherwise do it by hand to prevent damage.

While reading through the articles I found a great article with pictures on the entire process go to self help information and tips click ontothe quick links at the top then scroll down to electrical and lighting systems then scroll down to #76 on the list and click on stator replacement shows everything theres also a video by you tube on the subject in that same page with a few videos on this, the one you want is video 2-9 entitled stator replacement I have trouble right now finding my way back to that video im new to computers but i know someone on this site will know how to get there or go to the bing search engine and type in you tube video stator replacement brings back to HD talking and the video. cheers :rider

Make or buy the nylon locking block. You can get it apart with an impact wrench, but when you go to reinstall, you will need a way to lock things up so you can torque it properly. Might as well start with the block right away. JMO:D

Glider made a very good point in Post #11, in fact there is a "side note" in the service manual NOT to use an impact driver...they just don't state why...as the vibration/shock can unseat the "opposite" design magnets in the alternator or break the fasteners loose, possibly causing latent (hidden) damage if either the stator or rotor assemblies are reused. Why do you think they weld rather than use removable fasteners in there?

Last edited:
I would not impact it also. If it was locktighted when it was installed, hit it with a heat gun first.
Hundreds of ft/lbs should not be necessary.

Only use an impact tool if you aren't reusing any parts of the alternator, otherwise do it by hand to prevent damage.

Glider made a very good point in Post #11, in fact there is a "side note" in the service manual NOT to use an impact driver...tey just don't state why...as the vibration/shock can unseat the "opposite" design magnets in the alternator or break the fasteners loose, possibly causing latent (hidden) damage if either the stator or rotor assemblies are reused. Why do you think they weld rather than use removable fasteners in there?

I would not impact it also. If it was locktighted when it was installed, hit it with a heat gun first.
Hundreds of ft/lbs should not be necessary.

Hey guys, just a note in my defense!!

I used the impact driver AFTER: multiple attempts with a breaker bar (with me, me and other individuals, and other individuals themselves) failed. This was after using heat, foul language and 1 week of no progress. I did disconnet everything electrical that I could, prior to its use. Really, I was getting nowhere in my quest to finish my top and bottom rebuilds. FORTUNATELY, I have, as of yet, had no ill effects!! And I got the rebuilds Done!!

It probably is not the best method, it was my past resort - plus, I used smaller Impact Drivers, but ended up having to use the one rated to 750 Ft lbs. :small3d031: Please let me know of any other method :dknow I should have used in my quest to get that pesky nut off!!

Much thanks for the help!!! :)

CatWoman

CatWoman I have never seen where a breaker bar with a 2' pipe and a strong arm won't get it off.:s

That's what I thought - that mine was ridiculuosly tight!! We tried breaker bars with two people on them. :newsmile071: Hammers against the Breaker bar while applying pressure. And heat - to no avail. There were other odd things, gaskets boogered up, rubber umbrella valves present in the wrong spots....:newsmile040: Perhaps, the previous rebuild was performed by a Heman or Neanderthal or maybe just someone that used an Impact Driver -- 500 ft lb or larger to put it on. Funny though, other nuts and bolts did not seem overly tightened!?! Quite an impass. The impact driver seemed like the most likely thing to try -- and it took having to buy one to get enough oomph!!

Thanks for helping me to rest easier with my decision. :Cheers

I think by now (4 months later) any ill effect would have surfaced. Dodged that bullet!! :bigsmiley12:

CatWoman

I had a similar problem with the 94 Dyna thought id never get the compensator nut off i had a 4 foot pipe on the end of the breaker bar wouldn't move and eventually used an air impact wrench and a lot of heat to get it to move but did pull all the alternator parts out to see if OK been across Europe twice since then without fault

Brian

I had a similar problem with the 94 Dyna thought id never get the compensator nut off i had a 4 foot pipe on the end of the breaker bar wouldn't move and eventually used an air impact wrench and a lot of heat to get it to move but did pull all the alternator parts out to see if OK been across Europe twice since then without fault

Brian

Thanks Brian,

It's GREAT to know I'm not alone in this one. :cheers

Sometimes, we just have to proceed despite the warnings!! :newsmile045:

CatWoman

It was going to come off if it was the last thing i ever got done in life i just dont like to be defeated

Brian

Back