free website stats program Help Wanted! Can't get replacement forks in triple trees! | Harley Davidson Forums

Help Wanted! Can't get replacement forks in triple trees!

Hey Brothers,
I have read Service Manual, DIY & Tech Tips, but nothing addresses what to do when it doesn't work. I had to pound out my bent forks (from head-on collision) and now, I have new upper & lower sliders (forks) but I cannot get them in easily. I have used different tools to expand gap behind pinch bolt and got a couple more inches in bottom bracket. Please share any tips to loosen or slide my sliders easier.
Thanks!:bigsmiley25:

That is the only thing I can figure, even though I can't see it, they are absolutely tighter than a ducks ... I planned when I started tear-down to replace trees if this happened. I thought before I bought the trees, I would ask. Thanks Bud.

hard really to tell but i figured if the forks were bent i would think they triple tres would tweak to esp since you had to drive the old forks out with hammer

The easiest thing to do is to measure the od of the new and old fork legs.If the od's are the same,the triple trees are tweaked.
To be on the safe side,replace the trees.

Last edited:
I got the left in, and now the right is impossible.
Wouldn't try, but getting parts from HD dealers is impossible.
I was hoping someone had a tip, like this one:

"Heat up the triple tree bracket and slide up frozen upper fork."

Thanks.

If you're having that much trouble the trees are bent and you should replace them! If you have to really force the tubes or they don't line up right that is a pretty good indication.

No way I would reuse tree's that I had to force forks into. Especially after they were in an accident. This is why I hate buying used crap, never know what your getting. As far as heating up yout tree's, you will change the heat tempering which could weaken the metal significantly. I sell product that is heat treated and I can tell you from experience your taking a real risk messin around with something as critical as you tree's. Don't do it brother.

Back