free website stats program Help! Rode My Road King with no transmission oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help! Rode My Road King with no transmission oil

Like most have said already, the tranny is lubed primarily by sump oil "splashed" up from the gears up into the interior, and being "heavier gear oil" it coats the parts and drips back down to the sump. A lot of the oil is left coating the parts when you drained it. Running it probably did not harm things if the overall heat was not too bad, and your putting in the oil quieting the whine immediately is actually a good sign. Long term effect maybe reduced life...but that would depend on when you do the next drain how much metal is captured by the magnet and time. :s

What oil was IN the tranny to start with?

IF Redline shockproof Heavy, You might be ok..(but you would of NOT missed it, as it is Pink)
signed....BUBBIE
He's not kidding!!! The Red line shock proof Heavy (what I have in the bike now) sticks to anything it touches. pours like oil sticks like grease. The Spectro 6 speed is pretty good too. When I dumped the Spectro my last change (before I put in the Red line), it was very clean with almost no particals on the magnet/oil plug. When I dumped the Formula plus 3 weeks after buying the bike it poored out like water and the plug had a lot a ferrous particals. You can get Red line at any Summit store in your town.

He's not kidding!!! The Red line shock proof Heavy (what I have in the bike now) sticks to anything it touches. pours like oil sticks like grease. The Spectro 6 speed is pretty good too. When I dumped the Spectro my last change (before I put in the Red line), it was very clean with almost no particals on the magnet/oil plug. When I dumped the Formula plus 3 weeks after buying the bike it poored out like water and the plug had a lot a ferrous particals. You can get Red line at any Summit store in your town.

I think the Red Line Shock proof is also good. There is a VERY big difference in what Harley puts in it and Red Line. I suggested it to a friend of mine which has a 2003 RK and made a beliver out of him as well. Hey Mongo, I see you live in Newnan, I live in Douglasville. We shoudl get together and ride sometime.

It's probably toast.:D

Your only recourse is to sell the bike to me at an incredible loss.

One thing I've learned over time is to relax even in the midst of a crisis. Worst case scenario, a trained mechanic rebuilds the transmission and checks the driveline for other damage.

Don't buy trouble. Do the right thing, check out the situation, take a deep breath, and move on. It's just a piece of metal with holes drilled into it. The world will still spin.

If anyone on here is reading this thread, this is wisdom talking, i admire your disposition. Lord im glad someone thinks like me.

Well he's banned but I would agree with the philosophy "Don't panic" it can be fixed. As long as we learn from our mistakes then the world still spins. It's frustrating but it happens to the best of us. I try and relax, think it through solve the problems one at a time and in the end you are back to riding.

Back