free website stats program Help please! Fuel priming issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Help please! Fuel priming issue

So I'm on my way to bike week about 400 miles away from home. I noticed when I got to the hotel that my fuel pump was priming while the bike was still running and it won't stop priming. Must of happened since my last fill up 40 miles ago. I need help bad. I tried turning everything off and back on and it still happens.

I'm no fuel injection expert but it sounds like maybe the fuel line inside the tank has cracks/holes and the pump never reaches pressure to shut off. Assuming you have no visible fuel leaks external to the tank. If it wasnt full of gas you would probably experience a rough running bike because then air would be introduced with the fuel. I'm hopeful you'll get it straightened out and get it back on the road. Let us know how it works out.

Bodeen

. I noticed when I got to the hotel that my fuel pump was priming while the bike was still running and it won't stop priming.

are you saying you hear the pump louder when engine is running?
pump runs when you turn key on to prime system.
with engine running pump is running also,
if its louder now might be pump going bad.

Yea that could be it to. Getting ready to hit the road again. I guess I'll find out

Try turning the key on, but don't start the bike. You should hear the fuel pump run for 3-4 seconds then stop. If it continues to run, the chances are good that there's a hole in the fuel line inside the tank. You may be able to hear a 'hissing' noise coming from the tank if this is the case.

See post 6.

:lolrolling

Yep, the "Librarian" has it going on...I just read original poster detail and remembered my dislike of plastic being used in EFI high pressure fueling systems and just jumped right in. Still not convinced replacing cracked plastic with more plastic is a solution...but that is just me, and why I still like carburetor simplicity.:hii

Try turning the key on, but don't start the bike. You should hear the fuel pump run for 3-4 seconds then stop. If it continues to run, the chances are good that there's a hole in the fuel line inside the tank. You may be able to hear a 'hissing' noise coming from the tank if this is the case.

The hissing stops after 4 seconds.... Until I start the bike and then it comes back. Another thing I noticed today was that my oil pressure was a little higher then norm. Usually it runs right at 32 when cruising but today it was at 45. But only for a short while. Then it went back to normal. Everytime I got gas after that and started my bike up it would do the same thing for the first 5-10 miles and then it would operate normally. Is there a sensor or something that could have this effect on both issues?

The hissing stops after 4 seconds.... Until I start the bike and then it comes back. Another thing I noticed today was that my oil pressure was a little higher then norm. Usually it runs right at 32 when cruising but today it was at 45. But only for a short while. Then it went back to normal. Everytime I got gas after that and started my bike up it would do the same thing for the first 5-10 miles and then it would operate normally. Is there a sensor or something that could have this effect on both issues?

I have no idea how a hole in the fuel line would affect oil pressure? I highly doubt a sensor would do it. But, the hissing will stop once the pressure in the line dissipates. When you start the bike, the pump is now pressurizing the line and the hissing will begin.

Back