free website stats program Help on Transmission oil level | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help on Transmission oil level

I'd follow your owner's manual. If the level barely touches the bottom of the dip stick with the transmission warmed up, the bike on the jiffy stand, and the dip stick resting on the lip of the hole and not srewed in...add a bit of fluid to bring the level up to the proper mark on the stick as per the manual. I'm a bit suspicious of the alleged "service bulletin" that no one else has heard of.

Yes, you level would be low. That's as of 4/2011. Maybe the service bulletin the dealership is talking about is even more recent.
Get a copy. This I gotta see.

M1296 but info is very sketchy:s

Jack, How on earth did you find that? Even the Moco admits it is confusing. Gotta be hot, no sidecar, on the jiffy stand, can't be a Trike, etc etc.
That does a number on the people who have lowered bikes and don't have the same lean angle as factory stock. Now what?:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a google search and found it from another forum,lol last night I couldn't find anything on it but lots of questions, I will have that bulletin from my dealer later on tonight and will post it.

I am no great expert on the newer bikes but that service bulletin does not make sense to me as once the bike is on the side stand the oil will be lower at the dip stick side of the gearbox unless they moved the dipstick to the left side of the bike or the side stand is on the right
it says bikes that are upright thread the dipstick in to get the correct level and if on the side stand just resting on the threads

confused Brian

I am no great expert on the newer bikes but that service bulletin does not make sense to me as once the bike is on the side stand the oil will be lower at the dip stick side of the gearbox unless they moved the dipstick to the left side of the bike or the side stand is on the right
it says bikes that are upright thread the dipstick in to get the correct level and if on the side stand just resting on the threads

confused Brian

Like when the owners manual said to stand the bike upright to equalize the fluid in the 5 speeds

Brian now that you mention it, your right. I think it should be the opposite. For a level bike (Trike) you should leave it un-threaded and the leaning bike should have it screwed in. I just tried it with a container of water. Now it really makes no sense to me either.

Humm, Is it time for another Service Bulletin.:) Maybe that's what the newer service bulletin is all about?

Brian now that you mention it, your right. I think it should be the opposite. For a level bike (Trike) you should leave it un-threaded and the leaning bike should have it screwed in. I just tried it with a container of water. Now it really makes no sense to me either.

Humm, It's time for another Service Bulletin.:)

Hoop, I would not hold my breath waiting for Corporate to rescind that one:s

I will have that bulletin from my dealer later on tonight and will post it.

Jack, this may be it. It sounds like something that came after April of 2011. Lets see what Sourn brings back from the dealership.

Back