free website stats program Help on Transmission oil level | Harley Davidson Forums

Help on Transmission oil level

Sourn

Just checked my trans oil level on my 2011 ultra limited after 5k service, the owners manual said to check on jiffy side stand with the cap not screw in. Doing it that way I'm just touching the stick with fluid. Called my dealer, service mgn. said bulletin came out to screw cap in for right level reading. Is this a true statement or am I running low on trans fluid?

I lean more to side that it's lip service.
I would ask him to see the service bulletin. They are no big secret to see.

Out of my 2008 EG shop manual: General
The transmission lubricant level should be checked monthly.
Refer to Table 1-1. The transmission should be drained and
refilled with fresh lubricant at specified intervals.
NOTE
When checking the transmission lubricant level, the motorcycle
should be leaning on the jiffy stand. Allow a short period of
time to equalize lubricant level in the transmission compartments.

Check Lubricant Level
1. Park motorcycle on its jiffy stand.
2. See Figure 1-13. Remove the threaded filler plug/dipstick.
3. See Figure 1-14. Wipe off filler plug/dipstick. Place in filler
hole and remove. (Dipstick should rest on lip of filler. Do
not screw in.) Lubricant level should be between the full
and low marks on the plug/dipstick when removed.

If H D has a bulletin on this ask for a copy, I called them out on a few things in the past of course they played it off but I had a copy of the original bulletin they were kind of embarrassed but did fess up:s

is the bulliten available on-line?

You may find it on-line through a forum or someones personal web-site but not on-line through the Moco. Maybe yes if it was a safety related TSB, but since this is not safety related, you won't find it from HD.
Internal use only.

Would NOT be the first time HD owners guide Didn't CORRECTLY give out information...

Look at the shift points they say to use... LUGGING big time..

Broken Record Here,,;
I'm not suggesting to Over Fill The tranny.... BUT a bit Over Full, they will seek a level that will work in them...

Expelling a little "Over Fill" in vapor form while you ride from the Vent tube on the tranny top... I have seen this on Many bikes and this venting out is a good thing..

signed....BUBBIE

You may find it on-line through a forum or someones personal web-site but not on-line through the Moco. Maybe yes if it was a safety related TSB, but since this is not safety related, you won't find it from HD.
Internal use only.

M1296 but info is very sketchy:s

Back