free website stats program Help! Oil suddenly puking from the air cleaner – stock 1450 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help! Oil suddenly puking from the air cleaner – stock 1450

1. I did not top off the oil before it puked so we can rule out overfilling as problem.

2. The cam chain tensioners were replaced in December and that was the last time the bike had major work (I have the service records).

2. The cam chain tensioners were replaced in December and that was the last time the bike had major work (I have the service records).

Possible that the cam plate "O" ring leaking is filling the sump with more oil than normal, how about oil pump alignment?

You are right Glider, I had just finished replacing the oil in the wife's car and had 5 quarts on the brain. I thought that 2007 model year is when it went to 3 1/2 quarts and then check and prior to that it was 4 quarts.

You are right Glider, I had just finished replacing the oil in the wife's car and had 5 quarts on the brain. I thought that 2007 model year is when it went to 3 1/2 quarts and then check and prior to that it was 4 quarts.

I guess it's a good thing you didn't do your bike next! :s

It's been 4 quarts right along in the touring bikes but rarely will it take 4 full quarts without being overfull. There is always oil left in the oil galleries when you drain the oil. Usually a bit more than 1/2 qt. left after a drain.

I have a friend that picked up 2006 flhpi from the dealer and rode about a half an hour when his did the same thing as yours. the dealer told him it was due to starting and shuting if off without leting it warm up . seems it gathered enough condinsation that the oil water mix was an overfill! at least thats what they told him. they changed the oil and filter and he has had no more problems with it at all ! just food for thought. good luck!

I live in Texas so things warm up pretty quickly here, water in the oil should not be an issue.

After washing and (over)filling the oil I have ridden for about 80 easy miles. The dipstick level has not moved a smidge, it’s still right at the U in FULL. So far…so good. This weekend I'll try another highway cruise.

While performing my obsessive compulsive oil level checks the metal cover came off the rubber dipstick base. I tell ya, if it aint one thing it’s another.

The wife and I went out for a 120-mile ride today, most of it was 60MPH country roads but did one 15-mile highway stretch at 70-75MPH. And it was unseasonably hot! (approaching 100F) While we were out I purchased replacement breather S-hoses because the old ones were dry & cracked.

Upon returning home I checked the oil level and it had dropped to exactly the full mark. Considering I started out the ride slightly overfilled I’m not too concerned.

Pulled the air cleaner cover and it was dry. Pulled the filter and there was a small amount of oil collected under the filter outlet. It appears some oil may have pooled in the throttle body inlet and ran outside the filter housing. Otherwise the inside of the filter appeared dry (the inside and bottom was totally saturated with oil last time when it puked).

Don’t understand what happened last weekend, but for today I’m a happy camper.

had a similar problem that got worse when i went to syn 3. it was unbearable with mobil1 v-twin. i had a shop install mist free seals in place of the stock umbrellas that i had replaced less than 2 years ago. had only 2-3 drops from the air cleaner in 2 months. still on mobil 1 but no bad loss.

Went for a long two-up high-speed run this weekend in very hot weather. After a few hours at 70+ MPH it actually started missing and white smoke poured from the exhaust. Evidently so much oil dumped into the air cleaner it backed up into the throttle body.

I pulled over, checked everything out and the motor cleared itself. Dumped in a quart of oil and had no problem babying it at 55 MPH all the rest of the way home.

I have also been looking into the mist free system and probably will go for it. If I’m gonna go through the work of opening the covers anyway I might as well do it right.

Back