free website stats program HELP !!!! No rear brakes on Road king !!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP !!!! No rear brakes on Road king !!!!

flagshipjoe

"95 Road King. Tried to bleed rear brakes and got "some" fluid coming through line but then fluid stopped and now have no pressure on pedal at all. Someone said may need to bleed master cylinder, too. They also said if there is no visible fluid leaking, rears can definitely be bled and pressure restored. I have decent technical abilities + tools and lift. Tried to bleed several times with no luck. Bad master cylinder ??

Did you have a pedal prior to trying to bleed? Are you opening the bleeder only after applying pressure and closing bleeder before releasing pedal? Try opening bleeder and hold your finger over the opening. Slowly stroke the brake pedal allowing air and fluid past your finger and reseal with finger pressure before releasing. Try this a few times and close bleeder the last time before releasing pedal. If still nothing the master may be bad.

I assume that no other work has been done to the rear brake system in the recent past and that you have tried bleeding in the manner wazzle said ie apply pressure to pedal open bleeder close bleeder and release pressure
If that is the case I would guess that at 19 years old the master cylinder seals have failed
Master cylinder rebuild kit I think is the same for all the evo models and replaces both the outer and inner parts of the cylinder it is slightly more complex than doing the front as there are a few circlips to take off and put back whilst holding the spring tension
Also the main cylinder can be a wee bit difficult to get out of the housing if there is a build up of crud and corrosion

Brian

HD95FLHT031.gif
Here is an exploded view of your master cylinder, I hope it helps

thanks !!!!

no other work done to rear.
sponginess has been kinda gradual over several months.
tried bleeding by: opening bleeder, apply brake, close bleeder, release brake. did this numerous times to no avail.

Welcome to The Forum, pinch off the hose and pump the pedal, if it does not hold pressure fluid is leaking past the cups, rebuild and check the compensator port also:s Make sure to use the correct fluid

Back