free website stats program HELP! MY Sony radio wont keep preset memory on my Electra | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP! MY Sony radio wont keep preset memory on my Electra

Hi, i recently installed a sony head unit on my 07 Electra Glide classic, for some reason it wont keep the memory after i turn it off. I know there is a wire on the head unit fot memory, but where does that wire go to my bike? Can someone tell me which wire on the bike harness goes to the memory? thanks for your help guys..

The wire for the stereo memory needs to be connected to a constant source of power, if you have a multi meter or a test light you need to find a constant power source and tap into that. Make sure you have a fused link or you could wind up with other problems good luck. :D

constant source? stupid question here, but If I have a constant source of power the test light will pick up power even when the bike is off correct? sorry newbie when it comes to electrical here..

The wire for the stereo memory needs to be connected to a constant source of power, if you have a multi meter or a test light you need to find a constant power source and tap into that. Make sure you have a fused link or you could wind up with other problems good luck. :D

Wont the main power source to my radio be considered a constant power source?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not necessarily, if you had a constant source of power to the radio on/off switch you would stand a good chance of leaving the radio on therefore running down the battery with the ignition in the off position. Most systems will have a second power source just for the purpose of keeping the memory and/or clock running.

constant source? stupid question here, but If I have a constant source of power the test light will pick up power even when the bike is off correct? sorry newbie when it comes to electrical here..

You are correct,you need a power source that has electric even when the switch is off. Your old radio should have had one, I would check the old connection that went to your factory radio.

You are correct,you need a power source that has electric even when the switch is off. Your old radio should have had one, I would check the old connection that went to your factory radio.

Unfortunatey, i just bought this bike and it came with no radio. Im guessing the previous owner tried to replace it and never got to it. thanks for the advice. I went out there to try and find this "constant" power source and still cant find it. I think this guy who "installed" my radio did not want to waste time looking for it. I see the harness that hooks up to my front main light has 2 other wires just hanging there. They are:eek:ne is a brownish/wt a white stripe. The other is black. I wonder where these go to? they are just there. He (the radio installer) spliced these two and got his power and ground for the radio. I wish i was more electronicaly inclined..

On my 08 it says it's red and orange wire that is the radio memory. Hope this helps.

thanks for the info, i will look into it in the morning. I was working on my "6x9s in the hard bags project" and figured i will fix the memory issue while i have the fairing off..

On my 08 it says it's red and orange wire that is the radio memory. Hope this helps.

Hey Hogrotten, what do you think about splicing my alarm wire to my head unit memory wire? I have an alarm on my bike, but no siren. Like i said i just purchased this bike. I know I have an alarm fob, and my blinkers go off everytime someone trips my alarm. I would think that wire is hot all the time.
Or maybe running my units memory wire straight to the battery??

Hey Hogrotten, what do you think about splicing my alarm wire to my head unit memory wire? I have an alarm on my bike, but no siren. Like i said i just purchased this bike. I know I have an alarm fob, and my blinkers go off everytime someone trips my alarm. I would think that wire is hot all the time.
Or maybe running my units memory wire straight to the battery??

Check with your dealer, they make a siren kit for your bike that will not require butchering your wiring harness. :s

Hi, i recently installed a sony head unit on my 07 Electra Glide classic, for some reason it wont keep the memory after i turn it off. I know there is a wire on the head unit fot memory, but where does that wire go to my bike? Can someone tell me which wire on the bike harness goes to the memory? thanks for your help guys..

I have an '07 EG Standard that I added a Sony CDX-GT630UI from Biketronics. On this radio, the yellow wire is the 'memory' wire that gets connected to constant 12V.

-Paul

Back