free website stats program Help ME!!! NEW Sportster Owner!!! First Oil Change? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help ME!!! NEW Sportster Owner!!! First Oil Change?

Hi 67hat34c, I see you changed to spectro in the trans. I also am going to spectro I had to order the oil on line has not arrived yet. I did use amsoil 20/50 in my main crank case. I only have 518 miles on the motorcycle I am changing out the oils because I bought it at 481 miles. I was not sure what oils are in the motorcycle so I am changing them just to be on the safe side. Let me know what you think of the spectro in the trans? So far I am pleased with the amsoil except the price it cost me $10.70 a quart at NAPA. I have a jack ordered and the Spectro is on its way so have it changed out some time next week.

Take digital photos of the magnteic plug from your transmission when you first drain it, then compare when you do it again at 5000miles. Please post the photos. I am going to compare mine at 10k miles though did not take photos. Still remember what the plug looked like on the last 2 changes. Curious is the spectro will show lower wear

I am in the same boat; the more I read about oil, the more confused I get. Sensory overload!

I just had Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum Full Synthetic Transmission/Gear Oil
75w140 put in my wife's Sportster rather than Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil 85w. Other than a matter of personal perference will it hurt? It has to be better than Syn3.

Where is that little icon of the guy banging his head against the wall when I need it?

Would suspect the heavy gear only oil may have wrong friction modifiers in it and may cause clutch problems. i would stick with something designed for the wet clutch application.

I have a couple of hundred miles left before I change primary that i filed with Spectro at 7500. I did not take photos of the plug when I changed it the first few times but remember what it looked like so i can compare for myself.

I wound up changing a little too frequently because I did not adjust the clutch at the 1k change but did it at 2500 and changed it again then again at 5k because I did clutch again to be sure.(dont have stand to keep bike up so it leaked) I wanted to try Spectro so i did it at 7500. Now at 10k will change again and compare. Will have 2500 on the last 3 changes so should have good comparison on the mag plug.

1+ for Gear Lube like Spectrol 85W in the Sporty, friction modifiers in full Synthetic oils are probably too slippery for long wet clutch life. Read on the gear oil that you select that it is compatible with oil wetted clutch, transmission and primary chain (their all in the same place which is why so much emphesis on standard gear oils rather than synthetic oils).

Back