free website stats program Help ME!!! NEW Sportster Owner!!! First Oil Change? | Harley Davidson Forums

Help ME!!! NEW Sportster Owner!!! First Oil Change?

karl55

Please help me understand I read the threads on this site about oil which just got me more confused. I have a 2008 Sportster 1200L I just bought. I am getting ready for it's first oil change. I have a service manual and it shows the main engine oil change which I am going to use 20/50w no problem. I get confused with the trans talk. MY question: Is the trans oil the same oil that is in the chain case or are they two different oils? I am changing the chain case oil with Spectro heavy duty primary chain oil. Am I missing changing the gear oil? Is there another drain plug I am missing? help I am so confuses!!!

the trans and primary are the same on sportsters only 2 holes unlike the big twins that have 3

better read your manual for what trans/primary fluid to use..

and you need to get a service manual

Thanks Bud White, for the help. I have a service manual that is why I was so confused. The service manual only showed the two oil changes and the threads talked about the main, the trans, and the chain casings...That was confusing....for sure...Again Thanks!!!

Thanks Glider, I seen the attachment on an oil change the photos are just what I need for me just getting started..Do you have a site for the trans / chain oil change on the sportster with photos? That would be even more helpful..Thanks

Perfect!! Thanks so much I should not have any more problems with the oil change..but,,I do have One more question: I am going to buy a jack for my HD 1200L I am thinking about the sears motorcycle jack not the $100.00 one but the $199.00 jack (Sears Best). Does anyone have any better jacks for less then sears? Again "GLIDER" Thanks SO MUCH for your help!!!

Last edited:
Perfect!! Thanks so much I should not have any more problems with the oil change..but,,I do have One more question: I am going to buy a jack for my HD 1200L I am thinking about the sears motorcycle jack not the $100.00 one but the $199.00 jack (Sears Best). Does anyone have any better jacks for less then sears? Again "GLIDER" Thanks SO MUCH for your help!!!

Post this in the Sporty section and you should get more responses.

I used amsoil 20/50 in crank and in transmission for first oil change and then at 2500 when i adjusted the clutch and again at 5k for normal oil change. Noted a fair amount of shaving on the drain plug. I changed trans again at 7500 and changed to Spectro. I will change it again at 10k and compare. should have 3 changes at 2500 each , first 2 with amsoil. Did not take photos as this was not planned but will compare what i remember from the first to with the spectro. In my opinion it shifted better with amsoil 20/50 but the wear is more of a concern. only 1k miles to go so wont be that long.

Back