free website stats program help me decide on small windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

help me decide on small windshield

garyhdxlc

I know it's my decision, but I need more advice.
When I first got my 06 1200-C I got the HD QD tall And it looked way to big and I got a lot of wind that would up-draft from under the shield and up my chest and wiggle my glasses all day long. Last year I got the QD short and the wind problem is a little better but still there, and I still think this one looks to big on my Sporty. I don't like the look of all the metal strips in the shield ether . Good when it's cold out and for keeping my arms and back from getting tired, but that's about it.
I put 250 miles on it Friday and that wind coming up from under just about drove me nuts. When I hold my arm out in front of my chest it stops, but I cant do that all day long.
Now for warm summer weather,I'm looking for a small one that will take some of the wind off my chest and help rest my arms and back, and not hit me from under so hard, and still have a sporty look. I'm going to keep the HD shield for the Michigan early spring and late fall cold weather. I have been looking in to this for the last 2 weeks, from what I have been told and read the Tombstone at $ 45, may be a good one for me and it's the least expensive. I don't think it's the best looking small shield but a lot better looking then my big HD shield. I like the look of the 'Windvest' and the 'Switchblade Deflector' but at $ 340, to expensive. I like the 'Del Ray' $ 130, and the 'N.C. Deflector Screen' at $ 115, too. I like the look of the 'NC Flyscreen' $ 135, but it looks to small to work. Most fairings don't fit a custom for some reason but I don't think they would go well with my custom anyway.
I have got some info so far, but I'm looking for all the advice I can get. Would be great if any of you had pics of small shields on your bikes...
Thanks

I have the Harley QD tall on mine and I haven't noticed that at all. How tall are you? Stock bars or something else? Perhaps your position is the problem and not the shield. I think your going to have to go to a full fairing to get the level of comfort your after. Other than that, you may want to consider one of the "fuller" plexiglas fairings. I think Memphis Shades makes one that goes around and under the head light. I wear contacts and KD (these are small and don't offer much protection) sunglasses when I ride and I never have a problem at all. I went over 275 mi. on Sat. and nary a prob..

It's not just the wind from under my HD shield. I just hate how it looks on my bike . I just want to take some of the wind off my chest so I can relax my arms and back. I'm looking for a small more sporty looking shield. I'm keeping the HD shield for cold weather...

I am thrilled with my Memphis Shades El Paso (19" above headlight).
The gradient black looks OK on my Nightster, protection is excellent.
80-95 mph, no problem.

I do not use it around town, just when I will be on the highway.
On and off in a few seconds.

I had a National Cycle Deflector on my Sporty. 15 1/2" tall and the rake was adjustable. It attached to the forks and removed easily. I had the clear but they also come in black. It was just enough to keep some of the wind off your chest and looked pretty good as well.

Well as of today I'm leaning towards the 'NC Deflector DX'. My main concern is how will all the black hardware look around my chrome riser on a custom. I'm going to go see one on a bike today. Hope I like it so I can end this.
I would like to get the 'Switchblade Deflector' but at over $ 325 a bit to pricey for me.

Hey all
I got a great deal on a NC Deflector DX today at my Indy dealer. They look a lot smaller in person then they do in the catalogs, and that's just what I was hoping for...
Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back