free website stats program HELP..... Locktight or no locktight | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP..... Locktight or no locktight

carz

Im new to working on bikes, and i have my stator pulled out of the bike ( All burnt like the guys here said it would prob be from the stench from the fluid. thx guys...). now can anyone tell me if i have to use lock tight on anything? and i mean anything, all the way down to the primary cover bolts, exct... I went out and waisted $60 on a manuel from harley and it was such a waist of money, i get more help here than i did from reading the book cover to cover! also does anyone know where i can get diagrams of areas of the bike so ill know what parts are called (Cause as i said im new to working on bikes..) instead of walking in to the dealership everytime with a box of parts.. and not knowing what the guys are refuring to... thanks

Some great locktight info on the self help here.

Rule of thumb is blue on items you revisit frequently.Red on items you hope you never service again.Finaly green for items that require life altering humility.

I use LockTight whenever I can. Using the correct locktight is important. Red (271) for things that don't get hot & you don't plan on taking apart in the future. Red (272) for High strength along with Hi Heat application. Blue (242) medium strength for things you will want to take apart without using heat.

A Parts Manual may help with names of parts and diagrams but I didn't see a Parts catalog listed for the 89 FXST. Don't know why.??

As Carz found out, the HD Service Manual is designed to "supplement" the reader who has some knowledge and previous experience in general mechanics as well as some general knowledge in the use of some specialized shop tools and practices. But, once you get over the initial introduction, the manuals do start to come into their own. There are also two other manuals, the HD Diagnostics & Electrical Troubleshooting manual (has all the flow charts and diagnostic details) and the HD Model Specific Parts Manual (has all the part numbers and annotated assembly drawing (imagine that).

Just be patient and methodical look over this website carefully, especially the tabs near the top of the page, in particular the Self Help, Search (by keywords), Menu Jump pull down selections, and it is all waiting for you to use...:D

Carz, a website that has been a tremendous help to me is Bikebandit.com Look under the OEM parts for Harley Davidson, 1989, then FXSTS. Essentially, they will give you a diagram of all of the OEM parts of your bike. It doesn't exactly show you where on your bike each part is but maybe with the manual you have, the Bikebandit diagrams and this forum you won't feel so frustrated.

Hope this helps!

CatWoman :rider

I think that the only place you will need locktite is on the compensator nut and the clutch hub nut and that is 2 drops of 262 red on each
if you are having trouble with the hd service manual in that it assumes that you have previous experience and or training in hd motorcycles then might be worth having a look at a clymer service manual i find them easier to follow
however the hd parts list is a must for the name and part numbers has good diagrams of everything

Brian

Thanks everyone for the help I have just one more question I finally got my primary gasket in the mail and it has a red bead of what I would assume to be sealant, on one side should I still use rvt sealant (I have the blue Mr. Gasket, and a red high heat gasket in a tube from when I serviced my bobcat) or not..? Or just on the side without the bead, or both? I know I sound like an idiot but I hear so much about guys having leaky primaries and I don’t want to have to do this again because of an error on my behalf...
Thanks again guys

It's not really necessary if it is a quality gasket but it wouldn't hurt anything if it makes you feel better to put some on the unbeaded side.

It's not really necessary if it is a quality gasket but it wouldn't hurt anything if it makes you feel better to put some on the unbeaded side.

As Glider says it is optional to put bead of sealer on unbeaded side, but I do not for the simple reason, most gaskets of this type are high enough quality to not require sealer.

I prefer to use sealer on the cover side so it stays in place along with sealer on all the fasteners to make installation a snap...assembly sealer/adhesive if you will. Hate fumbling with a lot of fasteners and parts, balancing primary cover on knee and getting cables all into place, rather...I prefer just swinging it all up in one motion, aligning, hand starting and tightning fasteners, et all...piece of cake. :s

Last edited:
Back