free website stats program Help jetting | Harley Davidson Forums

Help jetting

I need some advice on jetting. Seems you guys have already went through all the issues of jetting and different variations. I am either going with the hooker rebel shorts slash cut or the ultima big growl snub nose exhaust, and also doing a spike air filter kit from D2MOTO.COM while they are running their 20% off sale. i live in dayton ohio and it seems that the elevation varies from 7-800 feet. I have already done the washers on the needle in my carb, but have no idea of what jets are in it. What all jets do I need to change and what size of jets should I use? Thanks in advance

meant to add that when I did the washers I noticed that the needle had different steps on it for the clip to sit on. Just which notch should this clip be? the bike has popped through the carb every once in a while since ivehad it, and I know the guy I got it from was inside the carb at one point so I wonder if he may have changed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that info, but ive already read over that about 10 times.lol. Im still confused. The jets that are in it are 45 and 185. Cant remember what setting the clip on the needle is on nor do I know where it should be at. I guess I shoul just take the 2 washers out and put the clip one notch below halfway? Sorry, this is my first harley. Always owned jap bikes that were FI and im clueless.

One of the things I like to do before doing mods is to inspect and check things BEFORE I begin, then change one thing at a time to steadily improve conditions. Since you do not have a real "starting" point, I would check the manual, and go one or two notches richer on the needle to start.

The use of the washers allows smaller incremental change than a full notch, so find out if the default was the #3 position, and if so use either the 2 washers or opt for 1 notch richer. Also, were you able to get the cover off the idle mixture screw and gently seated and backed out 1 1/2 turns? Remember to start slow and follow the road test to verify main jet...then work your way through the rest of the instructions.

Back