free website stats program Help ! I've just ruined my bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Help ! I've just ruined my bike

bikerdude

So , I've just bought this Fatboy ...

Came with Stage 1 already done ...

Vance Hines Ace looking & sounding pipes...

Thing is I rode it with my old synthetic gear on & whilst stood at a light I noticed my R leg a bit warm .... never mind & off I go ...

I get home & my inner leg clothing is now welded to the lovely V&H pipes , which I have to say does detract just a little ...

Have I ruined my bike or are you guys out their going to tell me how I can get the welded plastic off of the pipes & restore her to her former glory ....

Please ... I am a desperate man ....

Don't get the oven cleaner on any other painted parts either.

You also may dissolve it with some Lacquer thinners too.

I have had this work long ago.... Probably not as Bad a your mess....
Get pipes normal hot after ride... Keep running and Immediately put a Ice cube onto the plastic stuff and it May crack and pop off... Use a rag holding the ice directly on the spot of plastic... If this works , please report back here....
Hoping to Hear from you!

signed....BUBBIE

:D:newsmile030: we will let you stress it a while longer

seriously get the pipes warm and get a non abrasive scouring pad and GENTLY rub the pipe with something like oven cleaner then let it cool and get the super polish out and polish the area

I think Hobbit has you covered here. Oven cleaner works great, but be careful not to get on painted surfaces.

I found that a hand cleaner called Fast Orange works awesome. Had horrible rain gear stains and scuff marks on the UC pipes, used a little hand cleaner and pipes (heat shields) came out looking like new. I used Oven cleaner before and it does do the job but found Fast Orange way faster and did a better job JMO!!!

Take care and ride safe eh!!!:D

No worries...nothing a little warm-up & butter knife won't fix. Now put away those 80's parachute pants & get some chaps...;)

Larry's post in #8 was partly correct, use GoJo hand cleaner with NO PUMICE (it is in the blue and white container for couple bucks)...works great at removing "baked on" stuff on your pipes (when warm) with out damaging or "swirling" the chrome. Learned to use this way back in auto shop in the 70's...have to say if you want your hands clean after a dirty job, add a bit of Boraxo to the GoJo and your hands will look like you did not work on your vehicle.

Last edited:
Back