free website stats program Help / Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Help / Issues

rusty1070

I own a 96 King, I just had the rims powder coated and am reinstalling them. I put everything back together and now the tires hardly turn very tight due to rubbing with the brake pads. #1. Are the tire spacers supposed to be tight with the inside of the forks. The right side is a bit away from the inside of the fork. #2. Do I need to bleed the brakes. #3 is there another adjustment to the brakes I need to do. This is my first time taken a hog apart. I am havin fun but do need some help. Thanks

There is usually a space between the lower leg and the spacer on the right inside the clamp.
If you loosen the clamp at the bottom of the right lower leg and then lock up the front brake or put the front wheel against the wall and rock the front up and down as hard as you can, then re torque the clamp bolts the front end will be properly spaced on the axle (with a space of course)

As far as the brakes, if you want to verify that the wheels turn free, you can use a puddy knife to retract the pads just a bit and try spinning the wheel. It never hurts to bleed the brakes in any event.

One small addition to Gliders instructions. Loosen/remove the master cylinder cover. Makes sure there is not too much fluid/pressure when the pads are pushed in.

Are you sure you got the spacers back in the right order?

Are you sure you got the spacers back in the right order?

+1 on this one... the left & right spacers are not the same size... and according to my manual, there's an inside and outside to the spacers... at least on the front.

96 will only have one spacer on the right side the other side the speedometer drive has a spacer built in. Did you replace the bearings or pull them out? should be some shims in between the bearings. If they are missing it will allow you to over tighten the bearings. Good luck

Toby

Thanks for the feedback guys, I did have the spacers back in the right order as I marked them before I took them out. There is two spacers one for each side. What is the torgue number for the bolts on the underside of the right fork it holds the axle to the fork? Thanks again

Back