free website stats program Help installing new turn signals on 2000 dyna | Harley Davidson Forums

Help installing new turn signals on 2000 dyna

IronSleigh

Hi,

I've never been great at electrical stuff but I thought this would be an easy on for me to tackle.

My bike fell on it side about a month ago and the rear tail light broke. When I went to the shop to buy a replacement, i notice a cooler looking set so I bought that. they are smaller and will sit closer into the fender.

well, the 1st problem I'm having is getting inside the rear fender to remove the bolts. They won't come all the way out because of the tire. So i bought a jack to see if taking the weight off it would give me the clearance, but I may have to remove the rear tire I guess??

and the lights. I don't have a wiring diagram and I have no idea where they plug into. I thought of just splicing them, but i'd like to see if anyone had any ideas on how to do it the right way, before taking the easy way out...

please help. the weather in AZ is awesome this time of year and I really wanna get back out there.

-Eric

Ok!!! I just found the input for the lights behind the rear break light!!! Ok, any ideas to avoid removing the rear tire. Also, the bike is lowered... I don't know if that changes things....

i removed my rear lights from both sides due to lowered all the way and the wheel scrubbed , chaffing wires little bit together, i had to take my rear shocks off the top,
and removed chrome strut part that runs length of rear fender, then i could remove rear lights then, easy about 10 minute process, then once you get into the wires, wire strip both, if new ones not color coded, check the operation on each wire one at a time, i used nylon butsplices, and heat shrink you can get at any parts house, , my wires connected to my rear light aswell, , let me know if i can help futher.

do you have a bike lift?

if not you are going to need one and a set of dyna adapters or wood to balance the lifts plates.
When i did my rear fender and lights i put the bike on the lift then undid the bottom shock mounts and liftted the bike up leaving the rear wheel on the deck, making sure i did not over stress the belt or touch any part of the primary, then i did the work needed and to put it all together i just lower it back down

I do have a lift. I position the lift just right I don't seem to need the blocks. I'm using a tie-down to keep the bike in place. Is this still safe? I mean, it seems to work....

Is there anyway I can get some pics of exactly needs to be removed? I have a reputation of making things harder thatn they should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back