free website stats program Help identifying this leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Help identifying this leak

livestrong

I recently purchase an 05 heritage deluxe FLSTNI. It had 3500 original miles and now has 4100. I noticed the leak spot is getting bigger. It seems to be leaking/dripping from around the air assembly or behind it and looks like gas, but not sure. Does anyone have a idea of what the problem might be? I have replaced the two rubber hoses that run into the back of the air assembly that are common to rot. It has a stage1 scream eagle. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 57
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the response. I have replaced the breather tubes and I don't get a more than normal amount of oil recoil out of the breather tubes that is common on softtails. Any other thoughts? It very well could be the small amount that collects in the air assembly.

You say SE stage one,,, Does that mean the HD SE air?

I think it to be Just a drip of Oil and condensation mixed that drips out of the air filter.. I don't know IF you oil the filter or run it dry??? I don't think it is a leak.
If you oil the filter You probably use a bit much and it will collect on the bottom and drip.. Each time I'm back IN on My bike I always wipe clean the back-bottom open edge of air cover with a clean shop cloth.. Looking to see how much IF anything is there.. I do find Oil in a very small amount on occasion.. If left there It Will drip exactly like in your location.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks, I'm thinking more more that is the case. I just cleaned the filter with K&N clean and it is drying. I will oil it with a small amount of K&N oil. This is the first time I've cleaned the filter, not sure about the previous owner. Do you recommend a product to return the black back to black?

Another thought is ;; Does this happen after a wet wipe or wash.?

If so It IS condensation or water-oil related drip off the air filter , I did have this once and a while on my bike.. Looking Just like you pict of the area under air filter, More of a stain than oil..

signed....BUBBIE

Remember the oil On the TOP side of filter will drain down to the bottom ESP. if too much is used. So I would use less on the bottom side of air filter

Thanks, I'm thinking more more that is the case. I just cleaned the filter with K&N clean and it is drying. I will oil it with a small amount of K&N oil. This is the first time I've cleaned the filter, not sure about the previous owner. Do you recommend a product to return the black back to black?

S100 engine brightener and Pig Snot are two very good products for wrinke black. Avail. at many mcy. stores (metric and HD).

Try a bit less oil when changing oil, Too much will cause carry over

Back