free website stats program Help Identifying "Mystery Module" on XL1200C | Harley Davidson Forums

Help Identifying "Mystery Module" on XL1200C

In April I purchased my 2004 XL1200C from it's second owner. It's in great shape and at the time of purchase had about 6800 miles on it. It runs great and I have no complaints. But there is a bit of a mystery under the seat.

There is a black "cube" (about 1.5" x 1.5" x 1") that is wired into a bundle that disappears under the frame. As the photo shows, it has some damage. There is also a length of small wire spliced in under the ICM with a braided metal jacket that doesn't connect to anything...clearly it was cut from whatever it connected to. Inside the jacket are very small (28ga?) wires, one red, one black. FYI, I don't think that there is any relation between the black cube and the wire, although I suppose there could be?

When I took the bike in for it's 10K service a few weeks back I asked the service guy who did the intake paperwork on the bike to look at it, but he could not identify the black box, nor did he have a guess as to the (former) function of the wire. Anyone have any ideas?

under_seat_01.jpg

under_seat_02.jpg

Have you tried removing it and looking for identifying marks on the underside or asking the previous owner? By doing so, you would also know if that is the origin of the now cut bundle.

You really should cap those wires until you figure out where they go too. Look like power and ground and I'd hate to have it get wet and blow a fuse or fry the computer. By the looks of it, this guy did some soldering and decided he wanted whatever was connected to those wires before he sold you the bike and didn't tell you. I'd do a very thorough check of everything on there.

I'm with Dan you need to at the very least cover the exposed wires, although I don't think the box has any power going in. It might be an LED load equalizer.

If there is no power to this box, and you do not have any fancy lighting on your bike I would opt to remove this device and cap off ALL wiring

You never know what the previous owner has done. It appears device is not connected to anything so removal is a good option. It is definitely not a factory part.

Back