free website stats program Help. I tipped it over. | Harley Davidson Forums

Help. I tipped it over.

FXD2007

Hello folks!

Well, I finally gave my bike some character. I have an 07 FXD and have a question. I scratched the heck out of my derby cover, so I ordered an aftermarket one to replace it along with the o-ring. Well, after taking off the stock cover and getting the aftermarket one....the back of the aftermarket cover is smooth, it does not have the groove to put the o-ring on. My question is there another gasket I should ordered that is flat that will go around the torx screw holes or I should I use gasket maker/permatex to put the cover on? This is my first harley so I know this is probably a dumb question, but I'd like to fix it right so it won't leak.

The other problem I have is I tweaked my handlebars. It's not noticeable unless you are sitting on it and looking at the top of the fork, you can tell the left side is moved about 1/4 or so. What are my options to replace the bars? Should I order replacement bars or have the dealer replace it? If this is something I can do myself, does anyone know what bars I need?

Thanks for your help in advance!

they should have the gasket you need in stock at your closest dealer, I don't remember what they cost but I think it's under 10 bucks. They will have 2 types of those gaskets. You need the one with 5 holes.
On the handle bars, you might not have bent them, so try turning the bars all the opposite way of the "tweak" and then go a little more.

3ke3o03l0ZZZZZZZZZ92q979d321583c913ff.jpg

Well there are only two types of riders, those that have tipped it over and those that have not...YET! Glad your okay, are you going to get engine...eh...BigLew' Sparkler guards fited with highway pegs? Would have saved a little of the damage...

I probably should invest in those...I've been wanting highway pegs for a while. Also, riding home with a 1 inch long clutch lever was interesting to say the least. :52:

You are not alone my friend...I tipped mine over whilst changing the oil when it had a whopping 100 miles on it...I had the kickstand on a 2x4 to try to keep it level...It did not tip because it fell over center, it tipped by rolling forward thus over the kickstand and onto it's left side in VERY slow motion with a dummy (me) holding onto the throttle grip trying to stop it.

I didn't mind changing out the derby cover with a cool HD one, but ordered a very nice Kuryakyn engine guard/highway pegs same day...

As an aside, I have a coworker that got TRAPPED under his Road King, breaking both ankles in the process. He no kidding was trapped for over an hour in his garage..
Missed about 4 months of flying and is embarrassed as heck about it..

Cheers!

Yeah, as Hobbit says...the stand is pretty "kit" (good), but not user proof...if on a sidestand down hill...always park the bike in gear...also the stand has a tendency to "autopark" if your bike unweight the stand and allow the bike to roll forward, if you are unwaware...as Homer Simpson would say "D-o-o-h-h"!

Back