free website stats program Help - I think it's cross-threaded! | Harley Davidson Forums

Help - I think it's cross-threaded!

RottMan

I took off the dealer-installed 2-point docking hardware for a cleaner look. When I went to put it back on, one of the bolts would only go on a few turns before it stopped. It feels like its being cross-threaded. I told the dealer this and he suggested I use a "tap" to fix it.

First off, what is a "tap" and why should I have to do this on a 2-week-old bike?! That bolt goes directly into the frame. How hard/easy is this to do?

Another thought: I bought the 4-point kit also in preparation for my detachable TourPak that is on order. This bolt would be the middle bolt on the right side. You think I could get by with just 2 bolts on that side?

Tell the dealer you will be right down to have them fix it.

Tap & Die, thread chaser,hole reamer,grit gitter ---- items to "make new" threads,male or female.

I took off the dealer-installed 2-point docking hardware for a cleaner look. When I went to put it back on, one of the bolts would only go on a few turns before it stopped. It feels like its being cross-threaded. I told the dealer this and he suggested I use a "tap" to fix it.

First off, what is a "tap" and why should I have to do this on a 2-week-old bike?! That bolt goes directly into the frame. How hard/easy is this to do?

Another thought: I bought the 4-point kit also in preparation for my detachable TourPak that is on order. This bolt would be the middle bolt on the right side. You think I could get by with just 2 bolts on that side?

First, here:

Tap and die - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take the bolt that does screw in the other hole, and try it in the one that you are having problems with. Does it thread all the way in, no problems? If not, you probably should chase the threads in the hole with a "tap". Go to SEARS or a similar place and buy the right size for the bolt you have, like 1/4-20, 3/8-16, etc. If the other bolt DOES screw in to the problem hole, look carefully at the other bolt. Probably has had some of the threads mashed. Clean them up with a triangular file, or the right size "die".

No surprise that the Dealer did not offer to do this for you!! That is the way it is these days.

TQ

First, here:

Tap and die - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take the bolt that does screw in the other hole, and try it in the one that you are having problems with. Does it thread all the way in, no problems? If not, you probably should chase the threads in the hole with a "tap". Go to SEARS or a similar place and buy the right size for the bolt you have, like 1/4-20, 3/8-16, etc. If the other bolt DOES screw in to the problem hole, look carefully at the other bolt. Probably has had some of the threads mashed. Clean them up with a triangular file, or the right size "die".

No surprise that the Dealer did not offer to do this for you!! That is the way it is these days.

TQ

Thanks for the quick reply! Seems pretty straight-forward. I'll give it a shot this weekend.:s

Another trick is to file a groove on the end of the bolt perpidiculer to the thread.
I would use a roll tap instead of a cut tap to chase the thread in the frame.
No matter how you try to fix this,make sure the bolt is good.If the threads are messed up,replace with a new one and use antisieze.

Back